Posted on October 27, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this ninth installment with Oregon State’s Gill Coliseum.
Elevation: 230 feet
Overall Record: 101-48
Overall Conference Record: 45-38
Overall Nonconference Record: 56-10
At the start of the Pac-12 Era, Craig Robinson led the program to nonconference victories over New Mexico State and TCU, but dropped shockers to Idaho, Towson, and Coppin State. Wayne Tinkle took over in 2014 and has led the Beavs’ to .500 or better finishes in five of his six seasons.
But the home crowd has similarly witnessed shocking defeats to Lamar, Savannah State, and Kent State under his tutelage.
Within the Conference, OSU’s best win was over No. 7 Arizona in 2015, a Wildcat team that eventually made it to the Elite 8. Last season, Tinkle and company posted two respectable victories over No. 14 Oregon and No. 24 Arizona to go along with a win over Iowa State to start the year.
The three victories in 2019-20 were arguably the program’s best resume-building wins in a single season since the Conference expanded in 2011-12.
In fact, all four of Oregon State’s victories over ranked conference opponents have come during the Tinkle Era. And in 2016, the Beavers made their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1990 after taking down No. 21 USC in Corvallis.
Only Arizona, Stanford, and Arizona State have winning records in the building, a testament to the student section’s affect on opponents. The Beavers are also above .500 against Oregon, an accomplishment that not many teams in the Conference of Champions can match.
Though not quite an environment that opponents dread coming to, or one that players circle on the schedule each season, the arena, crowd, and home team are consistently liable to take advantage of overconfident visitors. Especially in the Tinkle Era.
But after nine seasons, there has yet to be a matchup between two ranked teams, and Oregon State hasn’t taken the floor ranked in the Top 25. To get there, OSU can’t afford any more losses to the likes of the Kent State’s and Lamar’s of the college basketball world in the 2020s.
Any stumbles in 2020-21 would put the program at further risk of getting left behind as the Pac-12 as a whole precipitously strengthens in the new decade.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record v. Top 25: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Unranked: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Ranked: 0-0
Record When Ranked: 0-0
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: Unranked
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 7 Arizona (2015)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 UCLA (2016)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 7 Arizona (2015); No. 14 Oregon (2020); No. 21 USC (2016); No. 24 Arizona (2020)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: New Mexico State (2012); TCU (2012 CBI); Mississippi State (2014); Nevada (2015); Iowa State (2019)
Idaho by 14 (2011)
Coppin State by 5 (2013)
Redford by 4 (2014 CBI)
Lamar by 3 (2016)
Savannah State by 3 (2016)
Kent State by 3 (2018)
Towson by 1 (2012)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Gill Coliseum
Arizona State: 4-3
Washington State: 3-5
Oregon’s Matthew Knight Arena
—More from Dane Miller—
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Pac-12 Championship Game Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for Nov 30-Dec 1
- 2022 Final SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Final Regular Season Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Seattle at Washington Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Saturday Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Friday Football Previews
- 2022 Maui Championship Preview: Arizona vs. Creighton
- 2022 Week 13 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 13 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs San Diego St Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs Cincinnati Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview: Sunday, Nov. 20
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s UCLA vs Illinois Men’s Basketball Preview
- 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 12 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews: Nov. 11-13
- 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 11 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Week of Nov. 7 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 23
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Previews
- 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 10 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 22
Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops PreviewsThe season is in full swing and two Conference teams have emerged as relative surprises - December 7, 2022
Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4Teams are still learning about themselves and these early games are opportunities for growth - December 3, 2022
Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship PreviewWith everything to play for and history on the line, each team promises to leave it all on the field - December 2, 2022