Posted on September 28, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this fourth installment with Arizona’s McKale Center.
Overall Record: 135-18
Overall Conference Record: 67-14
Overall Nonconference Record: 68-4
Since 2011-12, Sean Miller has guided his program to nonconference victories over No. 5 Florida, No. 9 Gonzaga, Michigan, Texas Tech, and UConn en route to a 68-4 nonconference mark. The four defeats came from No. 6 Gonzaga in 2019, Baylor in 2018, San Diego State in 2011, and Bucknell in the 2012 NIT.
Within the Conference, the Cats are 67-14 including a victory over No. 3 Arizona State in 2017. Utah, USC, Stanford, Oregon State, and Colorado are winless in the building. And Arizona State, California, and Washington State have just a single victory.
UCLA and Oregon, however, have figured out how to win in the desert confine. Both the Bruins and Ducks are 4-3 during the Pac-12 Era, and the Wildcats have failed to beat either program when they enter the building ranked in the Top 25.
Washington has had similar success, posting a 3-4 mark during the period.
Still, when ranked in the Top 25, the Cats are a jaw-dropping 107-9 at McKale Center. Of the 153 games played in Tucson, Miller’s squad was ranked in 116 of them (75%).
Arizona is the only team in the Pac-12 to take the floor at it’s home arena ranked No. 1 in the nation during the Pac-12 Era. The Cats played 8 games from 2013-14 ranked as the top squad in the country, going 8-0 over that stretch.
The arena has been the site of 10 matchups between ranked teams. In those games, the Wildcats are 6-4 with the defeats coming at the hands of No. 5 UCLA in 2017, No. 6 Gonzaga in 2019, No. 14 Oregon in 2020, and No. 23 Oregon in 2016.
There has been just a single game against a Top 25 opponent when Arizona was unranked. Last season, Miller and company defeated No. 20 Colorado as an unranked program.
However, the absence of an Arizona victory over a ranked UCLA or Oregon team is a tell-tale sign of the recent trend in the two rivalries. The Cats have even dropped three games to unranked Bruin squads.
The 14-point loss to Washington State in 2019 is arguably the sole shocking defeat in the Era, though the 11-point loss to Bucknell in the 2012 NIT is similarly head-scratching.
Putting all that aside, there’s no denying that McKale Center is one of the toughest, if not the toughest, road game for every team in the Pac-12. The hostile environment is notoriously unwelcoming to opposing fans, and the Cats historically back it up with victories.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record vs. Top 25: 7-4
Record vs. Top 25 When Unranked: 1-0
Record vs. Top 25 When Ranked: 6-4
Record When Ranked: 107-9
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 1 (2013-2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 3 Arizona State (2017)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 3 Arizona State (2017)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 3 Arizona State (2017); No. 8 Utah (2015); No. 20 Colorado (2020); No. 23 USC (2016); No. 25 California (2016)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 5 Florida (2012); No. 9 Gonzaga (2014); Michigan (2014); Texas Tech (2013); UConn (2017); Missouri (2015); Illinois (2019); UNLV (2013, 2015)
Bucknell by 11 (2012 NIT)
Washington State by 14 (2019)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at McKale Center
UCLA : 4-3
Washington State: 1-6
Arizona State: 1-8
Oregon State: 0-7
*Stats for Pac-12 Era only, courtesy sports-reference.com.
USC’s Galen Center
—More from Dane Miller—
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Pac-12 Championship Game Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for Nov 30-Dec 1
- 2022 Final SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Final Regular Season Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Seattle at Washington Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Saturday Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Friday Football Previews
- 2022 Maui Championship Preview: Arizona vs. Creighton
- 2022 Week 13 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 13 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs San Diego St Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs Cincinnati Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview: Sunday, Nov. 20
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s UCLA vs Illinois Men’s Basketball Preview
- 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 12 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews: Nov. 11-13
- 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 11 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Week of Nov. 7 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 23
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Previews
- 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 10 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 22
Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops PreviewsThe season is in full swing and two Conference teams have emerged as relative surprises - December 7, 2022
Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4Teams are still learning about themselves and these early games are opportunities for growth - December 3, 2022
Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship PreviewWith everything to play for and history on the line, each team promises to leave it all on the field - December 2, 2022