Posted on September 18, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era, beginning with Utah’s Huntsman Center.
John M. Huntsman Center
Elevation: 4,780 feet
Overall Record: 118-34
Overall Conference Record: 55-26
Overall Nonconference Record: 63-8
A defeat in the building is almost unheard of when the Runnin’ Utes are ranked. Their 20-1 record as a Top 25 program is as impressive as it gets.
In 2015, Larry Krystkowiak’s squad took the floor as the No. 9 team in the nation, a feat only a handful of schools in the Conference of Champions have accomplished in the Pac-12 Era. The Top 10 appearance highlighted a special year for the program, capped off by a Sweet 16 run in the NCAA Tournament.
The 2015 season is even more impressive considering the state of the team at the start of the Pac-12 Era, when Cal State Fullerton dropped a 31-point dose of reality on the Utes.
However, the success of the Kyle Kuzma years hasn’t been sustained, as evidenced by a 4-11 record against Top 25 teams.
Programs are built on upset wins, and the Utes have just two victories over ranked opponents when taking the floor as an unranked squad. And while the wins over No. 8 Arizona and No. 8 Wichita State are impressive, the 26% win-percentage against Top 25 teams shows that the arena has yet to distinguish itself as an environment that strikes fear in ranked opponents.
That being said, Colorado, Stanford, and Washington State have struggled mightily in the environment. The three schools are combined 2-22 in the building.
Arizona State, Washington, USC, Oregon State, and California haven’t fared much better, either, with the five programs going 10-26 in Salt Lake City, despite having quality teams over the years.
A statistical outlier is UCLA, holding a 3-4 mark against the Utes in Utah.
Still, Oregon and Arizona are a combined 11-3 at the Huntsman Center. The two blue-bloods of the Pac-12 have produced almost half of the home conference losses Utah has sustained. The 2015 matchup between No. 8 Arizona and No. 13 Utah, in particular, may have been the biggest game in the arena during the Pac-12 Era. The six-point Ute loss arguably halted the program’s upswing.
Nonetheless, Utah’s 2-1 record against the Top 25 in the arena, when also ranked, is indicative of the home court advantage the building provides. With respectable nonconference victories over No. 8 Wichita State, San Diego State, Minnesota, and several matchups with BYU, the Huntsman Center is a proven environment that can’t be taken lightly.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record vs. Top 25: 4-11
Record vs. Top 25 When Unranked: 2-10
Record vs. Top 25 When Ranked: 2-1
Record When Ranked: 20-1
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 9 (2015)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 8 Arizona (2016); No. 8 Wichita State (2014)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 4 Arizona (2014); No. 4 UCLA (2017); No. 4 Arizona State (2018); No. 4 Oregon (2020)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 8 Arizona (2016); No. 19 Oregon (2013); No. 25 USC (2017)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 8 Wichita State (2014); BYU (2013, 2015, 2019); San Diego State (2015); Minnesota (2019)
Cal State Fullerton by 31 (2011)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at the Huntsman Center
Arizona State: 2-5
Oregon State: 2-5
Washington State: 0-8
*Stats for Pac-12 Era only, courtesy sports-reference.com.
Up Next: The CU Events Center
—More from Dane Miller—
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Pac-12 Championship Game Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for Nov 30-Dec 1
- 2022 Final SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Final Regular Season Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Seattle at Washington Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Saturday Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Week 13 SuperWest Friday Football Previews
- 2022 Maui Championship Preview: Arizona vs. Creighton
- 2022 Week 13 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 13 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs San Diego St Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Arizona vs Cincinnati Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview: Sunday, Nov. 20
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s UCLA vs Illinois Men’s Basketball Preview
- 2022 Week 12 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 12 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews: Nov. 11-13
- 2022 Week 11 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 11 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Dane Miller’s Week of Nov. 7 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 23
- Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Previews
- 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- 2022 Week 10 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- That American F1 Show Podcast: Episode 22
Dane Miller’s 2022 Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops PreviewsThe season is in full swing and two Conference teams have emerged as relative surprises - December 7, 2022
Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews for December 4Teams are still learning about themselves and these early games are opportunities for growth - December 3, 2022
Dane Miller’s 2022 Mountain West Championship PreviewWith everything to play for and history on the line, each team promises to leave it all on the field - December 2, 2022