Posted on July 15, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this fourth installment, we scout Sun Devil Stadium.
Overall Record: 45-16
Nonconference Record: 17-1
Conference Record: 28-15
And in the Pac-12 Era, the Sun Devils have played up to the level of the scenery.
The 12-5 record against Top 25 opponents is elite, with victories over No. 5 Washington in 2017, No. 6 Oregon in 2019, No. 8 Norte Dame in 2014, No. 15 Michigan State in 2018, and No. 20 Wisconsin in 2013.
Upsets over ranked opponents have come to be expected, especially at night.
Moreover, since the Conference expanded, ASU is 10-4 in the stadium when ranked, and only UCLA and USC have winning records in the desert confine.
Perhaps more importantly, Arizona State is 4-1 against rival Arizona, with the Wildcats’ last victory coming in 2011.
Opponents from the State of Washington are a combined 1-6 in Tempe, while the Mountain programs are 2-7. Oregon State, California, and Stanford are a combined 2-5.
Midwest teams can’t figure it out either, with Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Norte Dame each suffering losses at Sun Devil Stadium.
Maybe its the dry heat that causes wet-climate opponents to struggle? The stadium is, after all, in the driest and hottest city in the Conference of Champions.
Add in a rabid following among the roughly five million people living in Phoenix—plus “The Inferno” student section—and you have a recipe for success.
At 8-3 against Pac-12 opponents when Arizona State is ranked, 9-5 against Top 25 Conference opponents, and 45-16 overall, it’s clear that Sun Devil Stadium is among the most difficult places to play, not only in the Pac-12, but in the entire country.
Big 10 opponents learned the hard way, but the stadium would garner an even greater national reputation if a well-respected SEC team was served with an “L” during the 2020s.
With games over the next decade set against Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, and Texas, the opportunity is there for the taking.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 12-5
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 9-5
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 3-0
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 3-2
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 10-4
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 8-3
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 2-1
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 11 (2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 5 Washington (2017)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2012)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2012)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 8 Norte Dame (2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 8 Norte Dame (2014)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Sun Devil Stadium
Washington State: 1-3
Oregon State: 0-3
—Other Pac-12 Football Venue Scouting Reports—
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW Reset
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on Base
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to Shine
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Media Day Takeaways
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Tree Struggling through Slump
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-SW/Mountain Teams
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Bears Faced with Rebuild
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: USC has Questions Up Front
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: New Faces Key UCLA’s Hopes
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW ResetWashington enters the year with a new head coach and a host of talented transfers - August 15, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on BaseAfter a solid 2021, Oregon State returns a seasoned quarterback and strong offensive line - August 8, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to ShineAfter the tragic passing of Spencer Webb, the team will play for something greater than itself - August 1, 2022