Posted on June 18, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this first installment, we scout Utah’s Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Overall Record: 42-18
Nonconference record: 17-0
Conference Record: 25-18
There’s nothing quite like those cold, rainy Saturday nights in Salt Lake City—exacerbated by The MUSS student section—that makes opponents want nothing more than to leave and never come back.
Recently expanded and renovated at the cost of $80 million, the natural advantages of playing at the venue, including the high elevation and accompanying poor weather, make Rice-Eccles one of the most hostile environments in the Pac-12.
Only Arizona State, Oregon, and Washington have winning records in Salt Lake City since the Conference expanded, while California has yet to emerge victorious.
Stanford, Oregon State, and Colorado have just a single win.
But the Huskies are undefeated in their three trips to Utah, and the Ducks have just a single defeat.
Still, the 17-0 nonconference record is nothing to sneeze at, even if only one of those victories came against a ranked opponent.
And when ranked, the Utes are dominant.
The 15-6 mark when in the Top 25 is impressive and indicative of the strength of the program. Calling the Utes “overrated” just doesn’t stick.
The 3-3 record in matchups when both teams are ranked is respectable, as is the 11-6 notch against Conference opponents when Utah is rated in the Top 25.
The adjustment from the Mountain West to the Conference of Champions took time, which explains the 5-10 mark against ranked opponents and the 4-10 record against ranked Pac-12 teams.
Yet, in 2015, Kyle Whittingham’s team reached as high as No. 4 in the country and took down No. 5 Stanford in the same season. And between 2018-19, the Utes won 11-straight games at Rice-Eccles, including eight-straight against Conference opponents.
Putting aside how the Pac-12 Era started in Salt Lake City, the stadium has developed into one of those places where nobody wants to play.
Records vs. Top 25
Record vs. Top 25: 5-10
Record vs. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 4-10
Record vs. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 1-0
Record vs. Top 25 when Ranked: 3-3
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 15-6
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 11-6
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 4-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 4 (2015)
Records vs. Ranked Opponents
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 5 Stanford (2015)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 4 Washington (2016)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 4 Washington (2016)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 25 BYU (2012)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Rice-Eccles Stadium
Arizona State: 3-2
Washington State: 2-3
Oregon State: 1-3
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW Reset
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on Base
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to Shine
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Media Day Takeaways
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Tree Struggling through Slump
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-SW/Mountain Teams
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Bears Faced with Rebuild
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: USC has Questions Up Front
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: New Faces Key UCLA’s Hopes
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW ResetWashington enters the year with a new head coach and a host of talented transfers - August 15, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on BaseAfter a solid 2021, Oregon State returns a seasoned quarterback and strong offensive line - August 8, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to ShineAfter the tragic passing of Spencer Webb, the team will play for something greater than itself - August 1, 2022