Posted on June 23, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this second installment, we scout Colorado’s Folsom Field.
Overall Record: 26-33
Nonconference record: 13-3
Conference Record: 13-30
And in a stadium that’s nearly 100 years old, the pageantry of games in Boulder matches or exceeds any other venue in the Conference of Champions.
But there’s no denying the struggles the program has faced since making the jump from the Big 12 in 2011.
All but UCLA, California, and Arizona State have winning records at Folsom Field, while USC and Oregon are undefeated.
Despite the altitude advantages, CU is 2-12 against ranked Pac-12 opponents and 13-30 against conference opponents overall.
Between 2013 and 2015, Colorado lost 10-straight conference games in the stadium.
Yet, in 2016 the Buffs won the Pac-12 South while beating No. 20 Washington State and No. 21 Utah in Boulder.
That season, the team took the field ranked as high as No. 9 in the nation and secured its 2-0 record in matchups when both teams are rated in the Top 25. And when ranked, CU is 4-1 overall and 3-1 against Pac-12 opponents, displaying its strength when on top of its game.
The 2019 nonconference victory over No. 25 Nebraska was an instant-classic overtime win that will live on for decades to come, while the 2016 run to the Alamo Bowl will never be forgotten.
Still, the losing record in Boulder since the Conference expanded, and the lack of a signature Pac-12 upset, are issues Karl Dorrell must deal with heading into the the 2020s.
The historically mixed bag indicates the potential Folsom Field provides to the Buffaloes, and places the onus on the staff to put it together over successive seasons.
If the recent upswing in Colorado football continues, the stadium could take on an entirely different perception over the next decade.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 3-12
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 2-12
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 1-0
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 2-0
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 4-1
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 3-1
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 1-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 9 (2016)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 20 Washington State (2016)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 25 Nebraska (2019)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Folsom Field
Oregon State: 2-1
Washington State: 2-1
Arizona State: 2-2
—Other Pac-12 Football Venue Scouting Reports—
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW Reset
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on Base
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to Shine
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Media Day Takeaways
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Tree Struggling through Slump
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-SW/Mountain Teams
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Bears Faced with Rebuild
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: USC has Questions Up Front
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: New Faces Key UCLA’s Hopes
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW ResetWashington enters the year with a new head coach and a host of talented transfers - August 15, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on BaseAfter a solid 2021, Oregon State returns a seasoned quarterback and strong offensive line - August 8, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to ShineAfter the tragic passing of Spencer Webb, the team will play for something greater than itself - August 1, 2022