Posted on July 2, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this third installment, we scout Arizona Stadium.
Overall Record: 37-24
Nonconference record: 17-2
Conference Record: 20-22
Known for its night games and semi-annual upsets of ranked opponents, the Wildcats have had varied success in its confines.
When at full capacity, Arizona Stadium is one of the loudest venues in the country.
Victories over No. 5 Oregon in 2013, No. 10 USC in 2012, No. 13 Arizona State in 2014, and No. 18 Oklahoma State in 2012 are among the seven wins over Top 25 opponents during the Pac-12 Era.
A 6-2 mark when taking the field as a ranked team, and a 3-2 record against Top 25 Conference opponents when ranked are some of the highlights in the desert since 2011.
But the sub-.500 mark in Pac-12 play, and 2-3 record against Arizona State, puts a damper on the success the program has had at home.
Stanford is undefeated in its two games played in Tucson since the Conference expanded, while USC, Utah, Arizona State, and Washington State each have winning records on the artificial turf.
Still, those series don’t detract from the blowout victories over ranked Oregon teams, the winning records against Colorado and UCLA, and the undefeated mark over California.
Although all but four Pac-12 programs are .500 or better at Arizona Stadium, the Cats have a win over a Top 25 opponent in six of the 10 seasons during the Era.
And the 2014 victory over the ranked Sun Devils secured Arizona’s first-ever Pac-12 South Championship.
As the 2020s march on, the potential is there for Jedd Fisch to recapture the magic of the stadium from the height of the Mike Stoops Era and the 2014 season under Rich Rodriguez.
It’s just a matter of rebuilding belief among a fan base that has become accustomed to annual disappointment and intermittent flashes in the pan.
If Fisch can bottle that belief, the sellouts and raucous environment may just return to the desert.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 7-9
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 6-9
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 1-0
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 1-1
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 6-2
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 3-2
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 3-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 10 (2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 5 Oregon (2013)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 6 Stanford (2011)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 5 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 18 Oklahoma State (2012)
Victory over Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 18 Oklahoma State (2012)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Arizona Stadium
Washington State: 2-1
Arizona State: 3-2
Oregon State: 2-2
—Other Pac-12 Football Venue Scouting Reports—
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW Reset
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on Base
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to Shine
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Media Day Takeaways
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Tree Struggling through Slump
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-SW/Mountain Teams
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Bears Faced with Rebuild
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: USC has Questions Up Front
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: New Faces Key UCLA’s Hopes
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW ResetWashington enters the year with a new head coach and a host of talented transfers - August 15, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on BaseAfter a solid 2021, Oregon State returns a seasoned quarterback and strong offensive line - August 8, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to ShineAfter the tragic passing of Spencer Webb, the team will play for something greater than itself - August 1, 2022