Posted on November 29, 2022
The Mountain West Conference title game will be Boise State against Fresno State.
Here are the final regular-season power rankings for the 2022 season, and the No. 1 spot could flip if the Bulldogs defeat the Broncos.
1. Boise State Broncos (9-3, 8-0) ◄►The Broncos haven’t lost a MWC game and only lost to BYU in the past couple of months. They are a legitimate team this season.
They face Fresno State, but this is a much different Bulldogs team than in October.
Jake Haener and Evan Williams are healthy, and Fresno State has won seven straight games.
2. Fresno State Bulldogs (8-4, 7-1) ◄►Fresno State began the year 1-4, including a loss to UConn.
Then, somehow, they flipped the switch and ended at 8-4 with the West Division all locked up.
If they beat Boise State this weekend, the top spot is theirs, and Jeff Tedford looks like a hero in the Valley.
3. Air Force Falcons (9-3, 5-3) ▲1Air Force shut down the high-powered SDSU offense in a defensive slugfest.
The Falcons have been a top team in the MWC all year long, but a 5-3 record in the Conference is a tough pill for them to swallow.
4. San Diego State Aztecs (7-5, 5-3) ▼1The Aztecs turned things around completely after firing their OC and naming safety Jalen Mayden as the starting QB.
The only games they lost were to Air Force and an ugly, late-minute collapse to Fresno State.
The Aztecs are also reportedly set to play in the Hawai’i Bowl against Middle Tennessee State.
5. Wyoming Cowboys (7-5, 5-3) ◄►Wyoming had a decent start to the year, but lost to Boise State before getting shut out against Fresno State to end the year.
Still, it was a successful season for the Cowboys in Laramie and they should be headed to a bowl game.
6. San Jose State Spartans (7-4, 5-3) ▲1The Spartans were on top of the West Division before losing to Fresno State.
Nonetheless, the Spartans finished with seven wins, and head coach Brent Brennan might be leaving for a promotion after another strong year in Northern California.
7. Utah State Aggies (6-6, 5-3) ▼1The Aggies had just one win to begin the year, but they put together an impressive five-game winning streak before falling to Boise State this past weekend.
The Aggies are holding their breath on a bowl game bid.
8. UNLV Rebels (5-7, 3-5) ◄►UNLV began the year 4-1, but they won just one of their final seven games in a gigantic collapse for Marcus Arroyo’s team.
Arroyo’s name was a popular one for the head coach openings, but not after a late-season disaster: He was fired on Monday.
9. Colorado State Rams (2-9, 2-5) ▲1Colorado State was one of the worst teams in all of college football before managing to win three games toward the end of the year.
If it weren’t for the pure brutality of the rest of the MWC, the Rams would be much lower.
10. Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors (3-10, 2-6) ▼1
Hawai’i won just three games this year, but the Rainbow Warriors’ future is looking bright with Tommy Chang as the head coach on the Island.
11. Nevada Wolfpack (2-10, 0-8) ◄►Nevada won two games to begin the year, then stopped winning games.
They finished with zero MWC wins, and the losses of Carson Strong and Romeo Doubs to the NFL were tough ones.
12. New Mexico Lobos (2-10, 0-8) ◄►How do you decide between New Mexico and Nevada?
Flip a coin.
Both teams were terrible, and neither one got a victory in MWC play.
—More from Matt Wadleigh—
- Matt Wadleigh’s Week 15 MWC Hoops Previews & Picks
- Matt Wadleigh’s Week 14 MWC Hoops Previews and Picks
- Matt Wadleigh’s Week 13 Top MWC Hoops Previews & Picks
- Matt Wadleigh’s Mountain West Hoops Previews and Picks
- Matt Wadleigh’s Week 11 MWC Men’s Hoops Previews
- Matt Wadleigh’s WK 9 MWC Hoops Preview & Picks
- Matt Wadleigh’s Dec. 27-30 Mountain West Bowl Previews
- Matt Wadleigh’s Dec 20-24 Mountain West Bowl Previews
- Matt Wadleigh’s Fresno State & Boise State Bowl Previews
- Matt Wadleigh’s 2022 SuperWest All-MWC Teams & Awards
- Matt Wadleigh’s 2022 Week 13 Mountain West Previews
- 2022 Week 13 Mountain West Power Rankings
- Matt Wadleigh’s 2022 Week 12 Mountain West Previews
- 2022 Week 12 Mountain West Power Rankings
- Matt Wadleigh’s 2022 Week 11 Mountain West Previews
Matt Wadleigh’s Week 15 MWC Hoops Previews & PicksA look at the top upcoming Mountain West Conference games with predictions for the rest - February 14, 2023
Matt Wadleigh’s Week 14 MWC Hoops Previews and PicksThere are some compelling matchups this week, including San Diego State at Utah State - February 7, 2023
Matt Wadleigh’s Week 13 Top MWC Hoops Previews & PicksThis week has plenty of eye-popping matchups with several of them well worth watching - February 1, 2023