Posted on August 1, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this sixth installment, we scout USC’s home turf, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
Elevation: 161 feet
Overall Record: 47-15
Nonconference record: 14-4
Conference Record: 33-11
Walking up to the entrance gates, fans can’t help but be reminded of the Olympic history of the venue: It’s a special feeling that only the Coliseum provides.
Mix in the lighting of the torch at the start of every fourth quarter, and the tradition of the venue shines through.
And with 47 wins at home since 2011, the Trojans play like it means something.
Only Oregon has a winning record at the Coliseum since the Pac-12 expanded, and USC took the field as the No. 1 team in the country in 2012.
Arizona, Colorado, Oregon State, and Utah are winless in the stadium. While Cal, UCLA, Washington, and Washington State have just a single victory each.
When ranked, the Trojans are 23-8, posting a 9-6 record against Top 25 teams.
But scratching beneath the surface reveals two fatal flaws. The Men of Troy are 0-2 against ranked nonconference opponents and have a losing record in matchups featuring two Top 25 teams.
There aren’t many programs in the country that can be disappointed with such levels of success, but the bar is different at SC.
Failing to topple a ranked nonconference opponent is an unforgivable sin, exacerbated by ceding control of the Pac-12 to Oregon.
The Ducks’ 3-1 mark at the Coliseum is evidence of the sea change that has occurred since expansion, making the wildly successful records against the rest of the Conference fall by the wayside.
For USC to climb back into the driver’s seat, the Trojans must turn things around against UO in L.A.
Failing to do so will further relegate the program to second fiddle in the Pac-12, a status that has become all too familiar to the fan base over the past half decade.
The future matchups with Notre Dame provide an opportunity to move the needle in the nonconference season, but it all starts with taking care of business against the top dog.
If that doesn’t happen, demand is sure to increase for a change at the top.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 9-6
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 9-4
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 0-2
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 2-3
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 23-8
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 14-8
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 9-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 1 (2012)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 3 Utah (2015)
Loss to Highest Ranked Conference Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2015)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 1 Notre Dame (2012)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 1 Notre Dame (2012)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 1 Notre Dame (2012)
Victory over Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: None
Conference Records at the Los Angeles Coliseum in the Pac-12 Era
Arizona State: 2-3
Washington State: 1-2
Oregon State: 0-2
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW Reset
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on Base
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to Shine
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Media Day Takeaways
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Tree Struggling through Slump
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-SW/Mountain Teams
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Bears Faced with Rebuild
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: USC has Questions Up Front
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: New Faces Key UCLA’s Hopes
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: DeBoer Keys UW ResetWashington enters the year with a new head coach and a host of talented transfers - August 15, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Beavs Building on BaseAfter a solid 2021, Oregon State returns a seasoned quarterback and strong offensive line - August 8, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Ducks Primed to ShineAfter the tragic passing of Spencer Webb, the team will play for something greater than itself - August 1, 2022