In this series of updates on the history of each Pac-12 men’s hoops program, we provide a brief coaching summary, list of the current coaches, along with postseason results, conference titles, award winners, and all-time coaching records.Oregon won the first NCAA men’s basketball national championship and has made the NCAA tournament 17 times, winning eight conference championships, and producing 18 All-Americans.
Howard Hobson, a former Duck player, was hired in 1935 and led Oregon to the inaugural National Championship with a team known as the “Tall Firs.”
He was also the first coach to win major college championships on both coasts (at Oregon and Yale). He pioneered intersectional play, with the Ducks becoming the first West Coast team to travel East for games.
Hobson was named president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) in 1947.
After 24 years of less-than-stellar basketball, Oregon hired Dick Harter away from Penn, where he went 50-3 in his final two years.
Harter brought a tough and unique brand of basketball to Eugene, and his teams were known as the “Kamikaze Kids” for their scrappy play and swarming defense.
He led the Ducks to the Final Four of the NIT two straight years, in 1976 and 1977, and was named Pac-8 Coach of the Year in 1977.
After a 19-year lapse and five-straight losing seasons, former Harter player Ernie Kent took the reins in 1997, becoming the first black coach in the history of Oregon athletics.
He won more games in his 14 years in Eugene than any other Duck coach before him, taking the Ducks to the NCAA Tournament five times.
Kent’s teams reached the Elite Eight in 2002 and 2007, marking Oregon’s deepest run in the NCAA Tournament in 42 years.
He remains the second-winningest coach in program history with an overall record of 235-173.
The hiring of Dana Altman coincided with the construction of Matthew Knight Arena, and he has made it an exceptionally difficult place to play, becoming the winningest coach in the history of Oregon basketball.
Altman has led the Ducks to four conference titles and seven NCAA Tournament appearances, including the Elite Eight in 2016 as a No. 1 seed, and the Final Four in 2017, winning 20+ games in 12 straight years.
He has been named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year three times, in 2013, 2015, and 2016, and the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year in 2013, while compiling a record of 300-124.
Altman signed a three-year extension in 2019, worth $3.5 million annually, and a one-year extension in 2021 that will pay him $4 million in the 2026-27 season.
University of Oregon (Eugene, OR)
Matthew Knight Arena
Current Coaching Staff
Assistant: Kevin McKenna (2010-present)
Assistant: Mike Mennenga (2014-present)
Assistant: Chuck Martin (2022)
Executive Director: Josh Jamieson (2007-present)
Final Four Appearances: 2 (1939, 2017)
Sweet Sixteen Appearances: 8 (1960, 2002, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 17 (1939, 1945, 1960, 1961, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021)
NCAA Tournament Overall Record: 26-16
NIT Championships: 0
NIT Appearances: 12 (1975, 1976, 1977, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2012, 2018, 2022)
NIT Overall Record: 15-13
CBI Championships: 1 (2011)
CBI Appearances: 1 (2011)
CBI Overall Record: 5-1
Conference Titles (PCC through Pac-12)
Pac-12 Tournament Championships: 5 (2003, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2019)
Naismith Player of the Year: 0
John R. Wooden Award: 0
Oscar Robertson Trophy: 0
AP All-Americans: 7 (Chris Duarte, 2021; Payton Pritchard, 2020; Dillon Brooks, 2017; Aaron Brooks, 2007; Luke Jackson, 2004; Ron Lee, 1976 & 1975 )
Pac-12 Player of the Year: 6 (Payton Pritchard, 2020; Dillon Brooks, 2017; Joe Young, 2015; Luke Ridnour, 2003; Terrell Brandon, 1991; Ron Lee, 1976)
Oregon Head Coaching Records
—More from Staff—
- Updated Top 50 SuperWest NIL Athlete Valuations
- Pac-12 Football Championship Game History
- Updated Top 25 Class of 2023 SuperWest Football Recruiters
- 2022-23 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Standings
- 2022-23 Mountain West Men’s Basketball Standings
- The Dane and Nick Show: 2022 Week 10 SuperWest Football
- Utah vs WSU: How to watch and betting preview with spread, moneylines, O/U
- The Dane and Nick Show: 2022 Week 8 SuperWest Football
- SuperWest College GameDay Appearance History
- The Dane & Nick Show: 2022 Week 7 SuperWest CFB Outlook
- The Dane and Nick Show: 2022 Week 6 Football Update
- The Dane and Nick Show: 2022 Week 5 Football Update
- Updated 2022 List of Current SuperWest Players in the NFL
- SuperWest NCAA Football Annual Touchdown Leaders
- SuperWest NCAA Football Annual Yardage Leaders
- 2022-23 Men’s Hoops Schedule by Week and by Team
- AP Football Poll Appearances by Team and by Year
- Preseason vs Final AP Football Poll Appearances
- Updated 50-Year Football Wins in 5-Year Increments
- Updated 2022 Former SuperWest Players in WNBA Tracker
- 2022-23 SuperWest Football Transfer Portal Tracker
- Quick-Read Pac-12 Football Media Day Sampler
- Pac-12 Football Media Day Presser Schedule
- 2022 Independents Football Standings
- 2022 Mountain West Football Standings
- Our Writers Predict Outcome of 2022 Pac-12 Football Season
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason All-Pac-12 Football Teams
- 2022 Preseason Composite Top 25 Football Rankings
- 2022-23 Preseason Composite Men’s Hoops Rankings
- SportsPac12 is now SuperWest Sports