TrojanSports.com: As the Big Ten announced on Wednesday plans to launch its football season the weekend of Oct. 24, all eyes turned to the Pac-12 and more specifically to government officials in the states of California and Oregon, as half of the conference’s schools do not have clearance to conduct full practices yet.
USC’s players had penned an open letter to California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday with the message of “We want to play,” football players from other Pac-12 schools joined the chorus on Twitter, and on Wednesday Newsom was asked about the Pac-12’s push to return to action during his broader news conference addressing the wildfires and the pandemic.
Putting California Gov. Gavin Newsom's comments Wednesday in perspective relating to Pac-12's hopes for a season.
—More from News Feed—
- Wilner: Pac-12 Conference athletic department power ratings
- Mario Cristobal reveals his Miami pitch to football recruits
- Lincoln Riley evaluates the current state of USC’s roster entering Year 2
- WSU’s Justin Powell will test NBA Draft waters but there’s more to the story
- UCLA’s Jaylen Clark named NABC Defensive Player of the Year
- Oregon transfer Kel’el Ware drawing interest from marquee programs
- ASU has ‘worst practice by far’, OL Ben Coleman out for 1st half of season
- Former Utah offensive lineman trying out for WrestleMania
- Colorado spring game nearly sold out ahead of Deion Sanders’ first season
- Congress to hold first NIL hearing as new NCAA prez seeks antitrust exemption
- Top 10 CFB programs entering 2023 season per 247Sports
- Possible CFB recruiting rule changes ‘may keep more coaches in college’
- USC’s Lincoln Riley 4th highest-paid CFB coach entering 2023 season
- Four-year ESPN probe identifies failures before a Utah athlete’s slaying
- Call: Is adding San Diego State to the Pac-12 a ‘no-brainer’?
- Wilner: Pac-12 Conference athletic department power ratings - March 29, 2023
- Mario Cristobal reveals his Miami pitch to football recruits - March 29, 2023
- Lincoln Riley evaluates the current state of USC’s roster entering Year 2 - March 29, 2023