Posted on November 18, 2022
This year, everything is different.
What looked like a promising fight between Red Bull and Ferrari at the start of the season has gone by the wayside, primarily because of the Italian team’s inability to complete races.
I preview the race below, including a complete television schedule of events, some quick facts and speed points, and a table of recent winners.
Be sure to check out That American F1 Show’s podcast for additional coverage.
Free Practice 1: Friday, 2:00 am PT, ESPN2
Free Practice 2: Friday, 5:00 am PT, ESPN News
Free Practice 3: Saturday, 2:30 am PT, ESPN2
Qualifying: Saturday, 6:00 am PT, ESPN News
Race: Sunday, 4:00 am PT, ESPN2
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Track: Yas Marina Circuit
Track Type: Permanent Circuit
Lap Length: 3.281 miles
Race Length: 58 laps
Fastest Lap: 1:26.103 in 2021 by Max Verstappen in a Red Bull
Qualifying Record: 1:22.109 in 2021 by Max Verstappen in a Red Bull
Most wins by Constructor: 6 (Mercedes)
Most wins by a Driver: 5 (Lewis Hamilton)
Tire Allocations: C3 (White) C4 (Yellow) and C5 (Red)
They are both powered by Ferrari engines. In fact, throw in Haas and the three teams with the fewest laps run this season all have a Ferrari power unit behind the seat.
In other words, Ferrari’s engine reliability issues have handed this year’s championship to Red Bull and Verstappen.
But it has been a long season, the longest in F1 history no less, and the final race takes the teams to the Yas Marina Circuit.
Approximately 55 percent of the track is spent at full throttle, with average speeds of around 132 miles per hour—similar to the demands of Montreal.
The 0.75 mile straight between Turn Seven and Eight is about 14 to 15 seconds of full throttle, reaching speeds of 193 miles per hour.
The twilight race makes the competition a visual treat for viewers who see the cars glisten under the lights after starting in the shining sun.
The track surface temperature, however, can drop by nearly 59 degrees Fahrenheit after dark, which drastically changes the grip of the tires and the balance of the car. After the sun sets, the speeds rise with the cooler track and lighter fuel loads.
Needless to say, getting the setup correct is imperative.
Outside of the drastic temperature variations, the circuit itself is not overly demanding from a tire degradation standpoint. The track surface is very smooth and about average in terms of severity.
Track layout changes have been designed to provide more overtaking opportunities and increase speeds and loads through some corners.
However, as the circuit will still be smooth, the average tire degradation presents opportunities for teams to make bold strategic decisions when it comes to pit strategy.
With high speeds and plenty of run-off areas in the corners, the track produces an entertaining brand of racing that won’t disappoint.
• Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have combined to win eight of the previous 12 races at the track • Max Verstappen has only led 56 laps at Abu Dhabi • Mercedes has won six of the last eight at Yas Marina • Eight of the 13 winners have started from Pole • Ferrari has yet to win a race at the track
• Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have combined to win eight of the previous 12 races at the track
• Max Verstappen has only led 56 laps at Abu Dhabi
• Mercedes has won six of the last eight at Yas Marina
• Eight of the 13 winners have started from Pole
• Ferrari has yet to win a race at the track
Recent Winners of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
|2021||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||Yas Marina|
|2020||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||Yas Marina|
|2019||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||Yas Marina|
|2018||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||Yas Marina|
|2017||Valtteri Bottas||Mercedes||Yas Marina|
|2016||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||Yas Marina|
Follow Stephen on Twitter @StephenVilardo and his organization @SERCenter.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
- Stephen Vilardo’s MWC Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Mountain West NCAA Tournament Outlook
- Stephen Vilardo’s Tourney Trek: 3 Cities, 7 Days, 17 Games
- Vilardo: Pac-12 Hoops Tournament Title Game Takeaways
- Vilardo: Mtn West Hoops Tournament Title Game Takeaways
- Stephen Vilardo’s Mountain West Championship Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tournament Semifinal Takeaways
- Vilardo: Day 2 Pac-12 & MWC Hoops Tournament Takeaways
- Vilardo: Round 1 Pac-12 Hoops Tournament Notes & Stats
- Vilardo: Round 1 Mountain West Hoops Tournament Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s MWC Men’s Hoops Tournament Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 18 SuperWest Hoops Power Rankings
- Vilardo: Bahrain Grand Prix and 2023 F1 Season Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 17 SuperWest Games to Watch
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 17 SuperWest Hoops Power Rankings
Stephen Vilardo’s MWC Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament PreviewThe Aztecs are the first Mountain West program to reach the Sweet 16 since Nevada in 2018 - March 24, 2023
Stephen Vilardo’s Mountain West NCAA Tournament OutlookNevada gets things startedtoday with a First Four game in Dayton against Arizona State - March 15, 2023
Stephen Vilardo’s Tourney Trek: 3 Cities, 7 Days, 17 GamesOur senior writer's basketball adventure from Indiana to Las Vegas to cover three tournaments - March 13, 2023