ESPN: NCAA president Mark Emmert on Thursday made it clear that the NCAA has no authority to tell the SEC, ACC or Big 12 — or any other conference or school, for that matter — that it can’t play college football this fall.
“We have no authority to do that,” he said during one of the NCAA’s “Social Series” on Twitter. “We don’t have authority to say to a school, ‘Yeah, OK, we know that your conference isn’t playing and you want to go ahead and play over here’ — I may think that’s a silly idea, but it’s not up to me, it’s not up to anybody, that school has its own authority to do that. Now, its conference colleagues can say, ‘You know if you do that, we’re going to throw you out of the conference,’ that’s fine, but they still can do what they want there. That’s never been the prerogative of the NCAA, and in my opinion, it never should be.”
Mark Emmert emphasized Thursday that the NCAA has no authority over whether conferences and schools play football this fall.
—More from News Feed—
- Aztecs ‘Work in progress’ as they open conference play against Boise State
- USC, Lincoln Riley end reporter suspension after ‘productive conversation’
- Could a promotion-relegation style system come to college football?
- Oregon’s Hayward Field will host 2024 US Olympic Track & Field Trials
- Jonathan Smith, Mike Elko attractive Michigan State head coaching candidates
- For BYU’s Darius Lassiter, Big 12 opener at Kansas is incredibly personal
- Wilner picks of the week: Colorado faces its toughest challenge, by far
- Utah football fully embracing ‘next man up’ mentality
- Former Boise State players guiding Idaho HS athletes through coaching
- WSU defensive tackle Rashad McKenzie out for the season, says Jake Dickert
- USC linebackers preparing to ‘get that juice back’ against Arizona State
- Brian Fish returns to assistant coach position for Oregon men’s basketball
- Oregon vs Colorado football game tickets reach ridiculously high prices
- Oregon football recruiting visitor list vs. Colorado
- Promotion/relegation in CFB? Game-changing idea could help save Pac-12
- Aztecs ‘Work in progress’ as they open conference play against Boise State - September 21, 2023
- USC, Lincoln Riley end reporter suspension after ‘productive conversation’ - September 21, 2023
- Could a promotion-relegation style system come to college football? - September 21, 2023