Posted on June 15, 2022
It’s kind of silly to me to rank QB and RB units when there is mostly just one starter at each spot and I individually rank both positions.
The 2022 season will feature some pretty strong combinations of QBs and running backs in the Pac-12 so let’s start ranking them.
1. USCWelcome to college football in 2022. The top backfield is all because of transfers.
QB Caleb Williams with proven Pac-12 veterans at running back in Travis Dye and Austin Jones put this group at the top of the conference.
2. UtahUtah is right there with USC. Cameron Rising is kind of a toss-up for top QB in the conference with Williams to me and Tavion Thomas is the best running back in the Conference and possibly the best player at any position.
3. UCLAThis is all about the nice combination of veteran QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson and star running back Zach Charbonnet, who easily could already be in the NFL.
4. Oregon StateChance Nolan at quarterback is a good, proven commodity, and Deshaun Fenwick and freshman Damien Martinez look like they should be the next Beaver running backs to run all over college football.
5. OregonThe Ducks lose their starting QB and two running backs and still are in the better half of the Conference.
Auburn transfer Bo Nix will be at least steady at QB and young running back Byron Cardwell looks like he could be a star at the position.
6. Arizona StateThe Sun Devils saved themselves from a complete rebuild in the backfield with good transfers.
Florida QB transfer Emory Jones should step in well for the departing and enigmatic Jayden Daniels and Wyoming RB transfer Xazavian Valladay has already run for more than 1,000 yards twice.
7. WashingtonA lot of question marks here. Indiana transfer Michael Penix Jr. looks like the likely starter at QB and New Mexico transfer Aaron Dumas as running back and both would likely be solid with good depth behind them.
8. ArizonaWashington State transfer Jayden de Laura looks like he should bring some star power to Arizona’s long-suffering QB position.
Young running back Drake Anderson looks like he could be a great option for them moving forward as well.
9. Washington StateFCS transfer Cam Ward gives them a nice shot here. The question is at running back where they have to rebuild.
They have some young prospects competing for the spot who will have to prove themselves.
10. CalPurdue transfers Jack Plummer looks to be a solid starter at quarterback. Veteran running back Damien Moore has been good when he gets carries and should grow into a nice starter.
11. StanfordInteresting group here. Tanner McKee has massive NFL potential and showed a bit of that as a starter last year. Still in wait-and-see mode though.
Experienced talents Austin Jones and Nathaniel Peat transferred out so talented EJ Smith now steps in with big potential as well.
12. ColoradoThis is a really good group to be last and says a lot about how the transfer portal lets other programs reload and the strength of the units in the Pac-12 this year.
QB Brendon Lewis started last year as a freshman and running back Alex Fontenot has shown well in the past.
—More from Jack Follman—
- Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 3 in the West
- Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 2 in the West
- Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 1 in the West
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-Northwest Teams
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Pac-12 Top 50 Players (10-1)
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Pac-12 Top 50 Players (11-20)
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Top 50 Pac-12 Players (30-21)
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Top 50 Pac-12 Players (40-31)
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Top 50 Pac-12 Players (50-41)
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 DB Unit Ranking for 2022
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Linebacker Unit Ranking for 2022
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Pac-12 DL Unit Ranking
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Pac-12 Offensive Line Unit Ranking
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Pac-12 WR/TE Unit Ranking
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 DB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Top Defensive Back’s based on NFL success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 Linebacker Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time Linebackers based on NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 DL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time DL based on NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 OL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 TE Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time OL based on NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 WR Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time Conference TEs by NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 RB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time Conference WRs by NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s 2022 Preseason Pac-12 Quarterback Rankings
- Jack Follman’s All-Time Conference RBs by NFL Success
- Jack Follman’s All-Time Conference QBs by NFL Success
Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 3 in the WestWeek Three brought two big upsets involving three SuperWest teams, Oregon, BYU & UW - September 19, 2022
Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 2 in the WestWeek Two brought clarity on some unknown things and confirmed some things we already knew - September 12, 2022
Jack Follman’s 10 Thoughts on Week 1 in the WestFrom CU's flop to Utah's heartbreak and UO's drubbing, it was a brutal few days for the Pac-12 - September 5, 2022