ESPN: The most recent congressional proposal to reshape college sports aims to go far beyond codifying a college athlete’s ability to earn endorsement money.
The College Athlete Bill of Rights, proposed Thursday by co-authors Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., would create sweeping changes for college sports, including provisions that would force some schools to share revenue with some of their athletes, guarantee lifetime scholarships to athletes in good academic standing, establish health and safety rules enforced by hefty fines for violators, and set up a fund to cover some out-of-pocket medical expenses for current and former athletes.
The College Athlete Bill of Rights proposal introduced in Congress would create sweeping changes across the NCAA landscape.
—More from News Feed—
- 247Sports: College football’s 10 big-play wide receivers to watch in 2024
- CFP’s move to 5+7 model improves regular season, adds first-round intrigue
- Dan Lanning breaks down transfer portal philosophy, building team for Big Ten
- The case for why Louisville’s Tyler Shough could be 2024’s Michael Penix Jr.
- CFP Board of Managers unanimously approves 5+7 qualifier format
- Washington locks in official visits with handful of coveted prospects
- WSU’s Jones & Rice sweep weekly Pac-12 hoops awards for historic 2nd time
- Stanford lands commitment from 3-star 2025 OL Josh Williams
- Colorado football assistant coaches to make record amount in 2024
- Former Husky co-DC William Inge latest Alabama defection, lands with Vols
- 247Sports: Five college football transfer portal results to monitor in 2024
- Mel Kiper releases updated Top 10 quarterback rankings for 2024 NFL Draft
- Tommy Lloyd gets extension with Arizona men’s basketball thru 2028-29
- 10 daring CFB predictions from 247Sports: USC to lose 4 games in 2024
- Pac-12 appoints Teresa Gould as commissioner to lead future of conference
- 247Sports: College football’s 10 big-play wide receivers to watch in 2024 - February 20, 2024
- CFP’s move to 5+7 model improves regular season, adds first-round intrigue - February 20, 2024
- Dan Lanning breaks down transfer portal philosophy, building team for Big Ten - February 20, 2024