In this series of updates on the history of each Pac-12 men’s hoops program, we provide a brief coaching summary, list of the current coaches, along with postseason results, conference titles, award winners, and all-time coaching records.The Colorado Men’s Basketball team, initially known as the Silver and Gold, began play on January 10, 1901, and became the Buffaloes in 1934.
The Buffs have competed in 14 NCAA Tournaments, making the Final Four twice. Colorado has also played in nine National Invitation Tournaments, winning the tournament once, and making the semi-finals twice.
Colorado basketball picked up steam in 1935 with the hiring of Frosty Cox, who led the Buffs to three NCAA Tournaments, including the 1942 Final Four, and two NITs, winning the NIT title in 1940.
Altogether, Cox won five conference titles, posting a career record of 147-89.
Sox Walseth was hired in 1956, coaching the Buff men for 20 years before coaching the women’s team for three, becoming the first to coach both the men and women at the same school.
A former Buff player, Walseth led his teams to three Big-8 Conference championships and made three NCAA Tournament appearances. He won conference Coach of the Year Four times, compiling a record of 260-246.
Ricardo Patton coached Colorado from 1996 to 2007, guiding the Buffs to the postseason six times, including two NCAA Tournaments, finishing with a career record of 184-160.
Tad Boyle, who took the reins of the program in 2010, one year before the Buffs joined the Pac-12, led Colorado to the Conference’s first Tournament title in 2012, winning four straight games as the No. 6 seed.
Boyle has directed the Buffs to five NCAA Tournaments, the most of any Colorado coach, as well four NITs. His seven-straight postseason appearances are a school record, as are his three-straight trips to the Big Dance.
Having posted a record of 254-155 in 12 seasons in Boulder, including four straight with 20+ wins, Boyle has earned several extensions in the courses of his perpetual five-year contract, currently worth $2.4 million annually.
University of Colorado (Boulder, CO)
CU Events Center
Associate Head Coach: Mike Rohn (2010-present)
Assistant: Bill Grier (2016-present)
Assistant: Rick Ray (2020-present)
Director of Basketball Operations: Bill Cartun (2012-present)
Director of Player Development: Zach Ruebesam (2021-present)
Assistant to the Head Coach: Marge Marcy (2010-present)
Final Four Appearances: 2 (1942, 1955)
Sweet Sixteen Appearances: 5 (1954, 1955, 1962, 1963, 1969)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 15 (1940, 1942, 1946, 1954, 1955, 1962, 1963, 1969, 1997, 2003, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2021)
NCAA Tournament Overall Record: 11-17
NIT Championships: 1 (1940)
NIT Appearances: 12 (1938, 1940, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2022)
NIT Overall Record: 13-11
CBI Appearances: 1 (2015)
CBI Overall Record: 1-1
Conf. Titles (MSC/Skyline, Rocky Mtn, Big Eight, Big 12, Pac-12)
Big Eight Regular Season Championships: 5 (1954, 1955, 1962, 1963, 1969)
MSC/Skyline Regular Season Championships: 14 (1913, 1914, 1916, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1929, 1930, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1942)
Rocky Mountain Regular Season Championships: 7 (1910, 1916, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1930)
Pac-12 Tournament Championships: 1 (2012)
Annual Award Winners
John R. Wooden Award: 0
Oscar Robertson Trophy: 0
AP All-Americans: 2 (Chauncey Billups, 1997; Cliff Meely, 1971)
Pac-12 Player of the Year: 0
Big Eight Player of the Year: 2 (Cliff Meely, 1969 & 1971)
Colorado Head Coaches Records
—More from Staff—
- SuperWest NCAA Football Yardage Leaders by Year
- Top 25 Class of 2023 SuperWest Football Recruiters
- 2022-23 Men’s Hoops Schedule by Week and by Team
- AP Football Poll Appearances by Team and by Year
- Preseason vs Final AP Football Poll Appearances
- Updated 50-Year Football Wins in 5-Year Increments
- Updated Top 25 SuperWest NIL Athlete Valuations
- Updated 2022 Former SuperWest Players in WNBA Tracker
- 2022-23 SuperWest Football Transfer Portal Tracker
- Pac-12 Football Media Day Presser Schedule
- Our Writers Predict Outcome of 2022 Pac-12 Football Season
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason All-Pac-12 Football Teams
- 2022 Preseason Composite Top 25 Football Rankings
- 2022-23 Preseason Composite Men’s Hoops Rankings
- SportsPac12 is now SuperWest Sports
- Neighbors: Can the Big 12 Steal Oregon and Washington?
- Pac-12 Connections in 2022 NBA Finals: 7 Players, 3 Coaches
- Full 2022-23 CFB Bowl Schedule Announced
- All-Time Pac-12 Conference Softball Championships
- 2022 Undrafted SuperWest NFL Free-Agent Signings
- 2022 SuperWest NFL Draft Tracker
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2021 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2020 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2019 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2018 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2017 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2016 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2015 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- Pac-12 Rewind: 2014 Conference NFL Draft Picks
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Standings