Posted on August 2, 2021
Mobley’s skillset is unique: He can score in the post, mid-range, and even shoot the three. And even at 7-foot, 215 pounds, Mobley has some excellent guard skills.
As a freshman at USC, Mobley averaged 16.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per game, earning him Pac-12 Player of the Year honors, as well as Defensive Player of the Year, and Freshman Player of the Year.
Taken with the third overall pick of the NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers, Mobley should come in and start right away at the power forward position, and will probably play some minutes at center as well.
Mobley is very athletic and quick of his feet for his size. His leaping ability allows him to finish above the rim, and he can handle the ball in open court, making accurate passes to open teammates.
The USC star also has a mid-range jumper and can extend to the three-point line on the NBA level.
On Defense, Mobley could be an outstanding wing protector with the ability to rotate efficiently on the weak side and step out on guards. He should also be an exceptional pick-and-roll defender.
.@evanmobley touches down in Cleveland 🛬
— NBA TV (@NBATV) July 30, 2021
As with many rookies, Mobley will need to get stronger. At times in the college ranks, he was pushed around on the defensive boards. He will need to be more physical on the NBA level.
At times, Mobley—like Anthony Davis, with whom I compare him—will leave you wanting for more; he needs to stay engaged in the game at all times.
If Mobley puts in the work and plays to his potential, he could develop into a franchise player.
Read his other articles on L’s Sports Takes.
—More from LaMarr Fields—
- Fields: Championship Week West Coast Top 10
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 13 West Coast CFB Top 10
- LaMarr Fields’ Top 5 Washington Coach Candidates
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 12 West Coast CFB Top 10
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 10 West Coast CFB Top 10
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 9 Top 10 West Coast CFB Teams
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 8 Top 10 West Coast CFB Teams
- LaMarr Fields’ Week 7 Top 10 West Coast CFB Teams
- Fields: Three Keys to Cal’s Matchup with Washington
- LaMarr Fields’ Top 5 Head Coach Candidates for USC
- Fields: Key Takeaways from Cal’s Loss to TCU
- Fields: 15 Games at ASU was All Christopher Needed
- Fields: Chris Duarte and the Pacers Knew his Worth
- Fields: Ziaire Williams a Sneaky Good 2021 NBA Pick
- Fields: Gary Payton Comes Full-Circle
- Fields: Revisiting Jason Kidd’s Stellar Career at Cal
- Former Bruin Jrue Holiday a Steady Force in NBA
- Fields: Three Pac-12 Football Freshmen to Watch in 2021
- Fields: Arizona WBB Mines Gold from Transfer Portal
- Fields: Top Six 2021 Pac-12 NFL Draft Prospects