Posted on September 1, 2022
Oregon opens with the defending champions in a “neutral” site game in Atlanta.
Utah also heads to SEC country with a chance to end the nation’s longest active home opener win streak with a visit to the swamp. (See table below)
Here we take a quick peak at some news and notes from each Pac-12 team in addition to BYU, Boise State, and San Diego State, with the last two coincidentally facing off this week against Pac-12 opponents.
Active Win/Loss Streaks in Home Openers Among Week 1 Programs
Thursday, September 1
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks at Arizona State Sun Devils
Pac-12 Network: 7:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Arizona State leads 22-14-4
• NAU is just 3-17 against the spread in their last 20 games played.
• The Lumberjacks are 0-14-1 in the last 15 meetings with ASU. The last NAU win in the series was in 1938.
• NAU did get a win last season over an FBS opponent when they knocked off Arizona in Tucson.
• Kevin Daniels ran for 1,146 yards and seven touchdowns for the Lumberjacks.
• ASU has failed to cover the spread in any of their last eight home games played on a Thursday.
• Arizona State is 22-1 in their last 23 home openers.
• The Sun Devils have limited opponents to under 30 points in 30 of their last 43 games played.
• ASU is 61-15-1 all-time when opening the season at home.
• The Sun Devils have scored at least 10 points in each of their last 75 home games.
• Arizona State was 20th in the nation a season ago against the pass, limiting opponents to just 194.8 yards per game through the air.
• The Sun Devils had the 13th-stingiest defense in the nation a season ago allowing just 326.3 yards per game.
• ASU has not allowed a play of 50 yards or more from scrimmage in their last 15 games played.
• Last season Arizona State picked up a first down on 83.3% of runs when facing 3rd & 1-3 yards to go, the highest rate in the nation.
• Last season ASU allowed just 71 points in the second half, the third-fewest in the nation.
Friday, September 2
TCU Horned Frogs at Colorado Buffaloes
ESPN: Brian Custer, Dustin Fox and Taylor McGregor, 7:00 pm (PDT)
Series: First Meeting
• TCU has won seven in a row over Pac-12 opponents.
• The over has hit in five of TCU’s last six September games.
• The Horned Frogs are 16-3 in their last 19 season openers.
• TCU will play just three games outside of the state of Texas.
• The Horned Frogs are 104-8 in their last 112 games when rushing for at least 200 yards.
• Kendre Miller ranks No. 1 nationally among active Power 5 players in career yards per carry at 7.38. He is second among active FBS players.
• TCU has scored in 367 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the nation.
• In their last 16 season openers, since 2006, Colorado is 53-of-58 in the red zone (39TDs, 15 FGs) in season openers.
• The Buffs are 7-3 in their last 10 games played in Boulder.
• 10 of Colorado’s last 14 September games have seen the under hit.
• Buffaloes are 8-4 against the spread in their last 12 Friday games.
• The Buffaloes are 23-10-1 in their last 34 season openers. In those 23 wins, the Buffs have averaged 37 points per game while only scoring 17.2 per game in the losses.
• Colorado turned the ball over just seven times last season which set a new CU record and was tied for the fewest in the nation.
• Since 1950, Colorado has averaged 5.1 yards gained on the first offensive play from scrimmage of the season, with 56 run plays and 16 passes (12-16 passing)
• Brendon Lewis has not thrown an interception in his last 132 attempts, the fourth-longest streak in Colorado history. (Joel Klatt is 3rd at 139…the record is 172 by Steven Montes)
Saturday, September 3
Bowling Green Falcons at UCLA Bruins
Pac-12 Network: Roxy Bernstein & Lincoln Kennedy, 11:30 AM (PDT)
Series: First Meeting
• Bowling Green has lost six straight road openers and is 1-5 against the spread in those six.
• BGSU is 8-4 against the spread in their last 12 games played overall.
• The Falcons will become the first MAC team to play a game in the Rose Bowl since the start of the FBS era.
• The only other MAC school to ever play in the Rose Bowl was also Bowling Green, in 1967 when they faced Cal-State LA.
• The Bowling Green starting QB is familiar with the Rose Bowl however as Matt McDonald will become the fourth in his family to play a game at the Rose Bowl. He joins his father, Paul (USC), and his brothers, Michael (USC) and Andrew (New Mexico State).
• Darren Anders was eighth in the nation in 2021 with 10.3 tackles per game.
• Anders is one of three players in FBS over the past two seasons to rank in the Top 15 nationally in tackles each season and he’s the only one who returns in 2022
• Since 2020 Darren Anders ranks first in the nation with 10.53 tackles per game. Darius Muasau of UCLA is fifth on that list with 9.55 tackles per game during that span.
• Odieu Hiliare has caught a pass in 22 consecutive games, tied for the 14th longest active streak in the nation.
• Bowling Green allowed 7.33 tackles for loss per game last season, 118th nationally.
• UCLA is 17-5 in their last 22 home openers.
• The Bruins are 13-5 in their last 18 season openers.
• UCLA is 13-9 against the spread in their last 22 home openers.
• The over has hit in five of UCLA’s last six games at the Rose Bowl.
• UCLA topped 200 yards rushing in each of their eight wins in 2021, but they failed to reach that mark in each of the four losses.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson has had a passing efficiency rating of over 150.0 in each of the last two seasons. He is just the third QB in UCLA history to have back-to seasons with a rating of at least 150. (Cade McNown in 1997 and 1998 and Brett Hundley in 2013 and 2014 are the others)
• Zach Charbonnet had a Pac-12-leading seven 100-yard rushing games last season.
• UCLA averaged 49.3 points per game in their last three games of 2021.
• Under Chip Kelly, UCLA is +20 in the turnover department in wins and –27 in their losses.
Arizona Wildcats at San Diego State Aztecs
CBS: Brad Nesller, Gary Danielson & Jenny Dell, 12:30 pm (PDT)
Series: San Diego State leads 10-6
• The Wildcats have lost their last 11 road games, the sixth-longest active streak in the nation.
• Arizona went 4-2 against the spread to end 2021.
• Last season the Wildcats allowed an average of 7.42 tackles for loss per game, 119th in the nation.
• In 2021, Jacob Cowing had the ninth-most receiving yards in the nation with 1,354 while playing with UTEP. Cowing is one of 50 new Wildcats on the roster this season.
• Last season Arizona averaged just 2.55 yards per carry against San Diego State.
• Arizona’s turnover margin of –1.42 per game was the worst in the nation.
San Diego State
• San Diego State has won their last eight home openers, tied for the 20th-longest active streak in the nation.
• Aztecs are 12-3 in their last 15 home games.
• SDSU is 17-1 in their last 18 games played in September.
• The Aztecs are 4-1 against the spread in their last four games against Pac-12 opponents
• The Aztecs are 7-2 vs the Pac-12 since 2016, the .778-win percentage is the highest of any team vs the conference during that period (min 6 games).
• San Diego State was third in the nation in rush defense in 2021. They allowed just 82.2 yards per game on the ground.
• The Aztecs had the 12th-stingiest defense in the nation a season ago allowing just 325.1 yards per game.
• San Diego State ran for 271 yards against Arizona last season, at 4.9 yards per carry in the game.
• The Aztecs are 52-2 the last 54 times they have totaled 200+ yards on the ground.
• SDSU has held 18 of its last 28 opponents to 17 points or less. They are 64-3 since 2011 when limiting opponents to 17 or less.
• The Aztecs’ 130 interceptions since 2014 are tied for the most in the nation.
Oregon Ducks vs Georgia Bulldogs in Atlanta
ABC: Sean McDonough, Todd Blackledge & Molly McGrath, 12:30 pm (PDT)
Series: Georgia leads 1-0
• Oregon is 5-4 against the spread in their last nine against SEC opponents.
• Oregon is 18-3 in their last 21 season openers.
• All-time the Ducks are 90-32-4 in lid lifters.
• Last season, Oregon converted 51.1% of third-down conversions, fourth in the nation.
• Last year, the Ducks lost yardage on just 6.8 percent of their offensive plays, the seventh lowest rate in the nation.
• The Ducks return all five starters from the offensive line, one of just eight teams in the nation that can claim that this season.
• Last year, Oregon converted on 51.1% of third downs, the fourth-best rate in the nation.
• 76.2 percent of the Duck roster is a freshman or sophomore; 96 underclassmen in total, the fourth most of any team in the country.
• Noah Sewell has a Pac-12-leading 159 tackles over the last two seasons.
• Oregon has intercepted 190 passes since 2010, the most in the nation.
• Georgia is 5-5 against the spread in their last 10 vs the Pac-12.
• The Bulldogs have won each of their last 10 games played in September.
• Georgia has covered the spread in 12 of their last 18 games.
• The Bulldogs averaged 3.27 sacks per game in 2021, the sixth-most in the nation.
• Georgia allowed just 267.9 yards of offense per game in 2021, second-best in the country.
• Stetson Bennett is 14-3 as a starter, including 11-1 last season. He set the Georgia record for Passing Efficiency at 176.7 last season.
• Last year Brock Bowers set Georgia TE records with 882 yards and 14 touchdowns.
• Last season the Bulldogs only allowed points on 20 of 32 opponent Red Zone opportunities.
• The Georgia defense allowed 13 TDs in 2021 and scored four of them.
UC Davis Aggies at California Golden Bears
Pac-12 Now: Guy Haberman & Shane Vareen, 1:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Cal leads 10-0
• The Aggies covered the spread in each of their last five games of 2021.
• UC Davis is 8-1 against the spread in their last nine on the road.
• UC Davis is 6-12 in season openers since joining division I.
• 10 of their 18 openers as a D-I school have been against FBS opponents.
• UC-Davis has picked up two wins over FBS opponents since 2018.
• Last year Ulonzo Gilliam became the first player to lead UC Davis in both rushing yards and receptions since 1950.
• Cal is 10-4 when opening the season at home since 2000.
• In 10 meetings, Cal has held UC-Davis to an average of 3.6 points per game posting a shutout in six of the meetings.
• The Bears are 5-2 against the spread in their last seven games played.
• 10 of Cal’s last 15 season openers have seen the over hit.
• Cal is 11-3 in their last 14 non-conference games.
• The Bears have held opponents to 14 points or less in four of their last six games.
BYU Cougars at USF Bulls
ESPNU: Ted Emrich, Barrett Brooks & Ashley Strohlein, 1:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Tied 1-1
• BYU is 5-1 in season openers under head coach Kalani Sitake.
• The Cougars are just 2-6 against the spread in their last eight games played.
• BYU has won 27 of their last 34 against AAC opponents.
• Last season, Puka Nacua had a reception of at least 35 yards in six games.
• The Cougars were 12th in the nation in 2021 with 15 interceptions.
• Chris Brooks averaged 5.2 yards per carry last season for Cal.
• Isaac Rex led TEs nationally with 12 TDs last season.
• BYU outscored its opponents 114-50 in the first quarter last season.
• Last season, BYU held seven opponents to 20 points or less.
• In 2021, Ryan Rehkow ranked fourth nationally with 48.6 yards per punt.
• South Florida is 0-5 against the spread in their last five season openers.
• A Bulls win would be the first time for USF to defeat a ranked opponent in a season-opening game since 2011 (Notre Dame) and would mark the first win over a ranked opponent since 2016.
• USF was outscored 112-51 in the first quarter last season with an 84-49 fourth-quarter deficit.
• USF has scored 27 points in both prior games with BYU. A 35-27 loss in Provo last year and a 27-23 win over the Cougars in Ray-Jay in 2019.
• Last season, Brian Battie averaged 32.5 yards on kickoff returns and led the nation with three 100-yard touchdowns.
• In 2021, Antonio Grier had 3.0 sacks, 9.0 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, and two interceptions for the Bulls.
• Transfer Gerry Bohanon led Baylor to the Big 12 championship game last season.
Rice Owls at USC Trojans
Pac-12 Network: Ted Robinson & Yogi Roth, 3:00 pm (PDT)
Series: USC leads 2-0-1
• Rice is 3-7 in their last 10 road openers.
• The Owls are 2-7 against the spread in their last nine against Power Five opponents.
• Rice has covered four of their last five road openers.
• The Owls are 2-12-1 when opening against a ranked opponent with their last win coming on September 23, 1961, when Rice defeated preseason No. 5 LSU 16-3 at Rice Stadium.
• The Owls are 6-31 when opening the season away from Rice Stadium and have dropped their last nine since defeating Houston in 2004.
• Rice is 1-13-1 when playing in California and has lost its last 10 after a 30-7 win at Stanford in 1957.
• USC has won their last eight home openers.
• The last 14 times USC has opened the season at home, they have been victorious.
• The Trojans are just 1-4 against the spread in their last five home openers.
• USC is 68-16-7 in season openers played at home.
• Lincoln Riley is 23-2 against teams from the state of Texas.
• Caleb Williams’s 1,912 passing yards and 21 TDs through the air were both records for an Oklahoma true freshman.
• Jordan Addison caught 100 passes for 1,593 yards and 17 TDs last season.
• Addison’s 17 TD receptions were the second-most in a single season in ACC history and tied for the most in the nation last season.
• USC has a total of 33 players on their roster who started their careers at another four-year institution.
• Last season Travis Dye converted 23 of his 27 runs on 3rd and short into a first down.
Utah Utes at Florida Gators
ESPN: Bob Wischusen, Dan Orlovsky & Kris Budden, 4:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Florida leads 1-0
• Utah has won seven of their last nine road openers.
• The Utes have gone 7-1-1 against the spread in road openers since 2013.
• Utah is 27-3 in regular season non-conference games since joining the Pac-12 in 2011.
• Tavion Thomas has rushed for 28 TDs in 27 career games.
• Thomas’s 28 rushing touchdowns are the most of any active Pac-12 player.
• Utah allowed just 13 sacks in 2021.
• Brant Kuithe has at least one reception in 28 consecutive games, the fourth longest streak in the nation.
• Dalton Kincaid’s 27 career touchdowns lead all active tight ends in the nation.
• 58% of Kincaid’s receptions last season resulted in Utah first down.
• Florida has won 32 straight home openers, the longest active streak in the nation.
• This is the first time Florida has been an underdog in a season opener at home since 1978.
• This is just the 29th time since 1978 that Florida has been an underdog in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.
• The Gators are 0-7 against the spread in their last seven games played.
• Florida is 16-2 in their last 18 home games.
• UF is 11-1 in their last 12 games played in September.
• Billy Napier can become the first Florida HC to beat a ranked team in his first game as head coach.
• Florida averaged 5.5 yards per rush attempt in 2021, which was the fourth-highest mark in program history.
• Florida allowed just 14 sacks in 2021.
Colgate Raiders at Stanford Cardinal
Pac-12 Network: Jordan Kent & Greg Camarillo, 5:00 pm (PDT)
Series: First Meeting
• Colgate has lost their last three season openers.
• QB Michael Brescia was the Patriot League Rookie of the year in 2021.
• Garrett Oakey is currently 19 receptions and 216 yards away from the Colgate To-10 in each category.
• Last season Colgate averaged just 18.7 points per game, ranking 105th out of 123 FCS teams.
• Colgate forced just eight turnovers in 2021, the 17th fewest among FCS programs.
• Colgate has been outscored 99-7 in their last two games against FBS opponents.
• The last eight times the Raiders have faced FBS opponents they have lost all eight by a combined 309-71.
• Stanford is 11-2 in their last 13 home openers.
• The Cardinal went 0-7 against the spread to close out 2021.
• Stanford is just 1-8 against the spread in their last nine home games.
• The Cardinal are 7-6 against the spread in those 13 home openers.
• Stanford returns 91.98% of passing yards and 86.8% of receiving yards, as well as 100% of offensive line starts.
• This will be the first time in 25 games that Stanford is not playing a Power Five opponent.
• The last 38 games that Stanford has played have been against either a Power Five opponent or ranked opponent.
• Benjamin Yurosek averaged 15.3 yards per reception last year for the Cardinal, which was the eighth-best in the nation among TEs.
• 29 of Yurosek 43 receptions last year resulted in a Stanford first down or TD and 13 of his receptions went for at least 20 yards.
• Stanford allowed 235.7 yards per game on the ground in 2021, 127th in the nation.
• Stanford allowed 450 total yards per game last season, 113th in the nation.
• Kyu Blu Kelly defended 1.09 passes per game last season, the 15th most in the nation.
Idaho Vandals at Washington State Cougars
Pac-12 Network: JB Long & Ryan Leaf, 6:30 pm (PDT)
Series: WSU leads 71-17-3
• Idaho has failed to cover the spread in any of their last five games against Pac-12 opponents.
• Roshaun Johnson scored six TDs against Southern Utah last season, the most ever by a Vandal in a single game.
• Idaho has lost their last nine games against Washington State.
• The last two meetings have seen a combined score of 98-6 in favor of Washington State.
• The Vandals have lost their last four to FBS opponents by a combined 198-37. But among those four games was narrow 21-16 loss at Wyoming in 2019.
• Washington State has won nine in a row over Idaho and has covered the spread in six of those nine games.
• Last season Washington State forced a Pac-12-best 29 turnovers, the fifth most in the nation.
• The Cougs are 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 games played.
• WSU had the ninth-best turnover margin nationally last season, with .85 more takeaways per game than they gave away.
• Renard Bell has at least one reception in each of the last 18 games he has played.
• Bell is entering his seventh season in Pullman and has seen a lot of Cougar QBs. He has caught at least one pass from Luke Falk, Tyler Hilinski, Gardner Minshew II, Anthony Gordon, Gage Gubrud, Jayden de Laura, Gunner Cruz, and Cammon Cooper.
Boise State Broncos at Oregon State Beavers
ESPN: Beth Mowins, Kyle Morrison & Stormy Bounantony, 7:30 pm (PDT)
Series: Oregon State leads 5-4
• Boise State has gone 10-4 in their last 14 games against Pac-12 opponents.
• The Broncos have covered in their last two games against Pac-12 opponents.
• The under has hit in each of BSU’s last seven games.
• Boise State is 5-0 against the spread in their last five season openers.
• Boise State has won six of its last seven season openers.
• Boise State is one of four schools nationally to post a winning record on the road for each of the last eight seasons.
• The Broncos are 17-4 on the road in the last four seasons.
• The Broncos finished 12th nationally in red zone offense last season at 92.5%.
• BSU has scored in 311 consecutive games, the eighth-longest streak of all time and the sixth-longest active streak in the nation.
• The BSU defense allowed 19.0 points per game in 2021, 12th in the nation.
• The Bronco defense forced 23 turnovers on the year, 21st in the country.
• Oregon State went 6-0 at home last season, the six-game home-field win streak is currently tied for the 20th longest in the nation.
• The Beavs also covered in all six home games last season.
• Oregon State is 13-4 in their last 17 home openers.
• The Beavers are 5-10 against the spread in their last 15 home openers.
• OSU is just 1-5 in their last six games against Mountain West opponents.
• Oregon State has had a 100-yard rusher in six of their last 10 non-conference games.
• OSU’s 34 punts last season were the second-fewest in the nation.
• The Beavers allowed just 3.54 TFL per game last season, the fourth fewest in the country.
• Last year, Oregon State allowed a third-down conversion on 50.27% of tries, the fourth-worst mark in the nation.
• Last season, Oregon State picked up a first down on 78.0% of runs when facing 3rd and 1-3 yards to go, the second-highest rate in the nation.
Kent State Golden Flashes at Washington Huskies
FS1: Alex Faust & Petros Papadakis, 7:30 pm (PDT)
Series: First Meeting
• Kent State has faced two current Pac-12 teams all time and has been outscored 72-7 in those games.
• Last season, Kent State averaged 248.6 yards per game on the ground, the third most in the nation and the most of a non-service academy.
• The over hit in six of Kent State’s last nine games of 2021.
• KSU is 2-6 against the spread in their last eight games on the road.
• Kent State was fourth in the nation with a turnover margin of .93 per game in 2021.
• In three games against Power Five opponents last year—Texas A&M, Iowa, and Maryland—Kent State allowed an average of 36.0 points per game.
• The Golden Flashes allowed at least 41 points in each of their last three games and five of the last six of 2021.
• The Huskies are 3-0 all-time against current MAC opponents with a combined score of 149-7 in those three games.
• Washington is 96-29-5 in home openers.
• Washington is 12-2 the last 14 times they have had their season lid-lifter at home.
• The Huskies are 3-11 against the spread in their last 14 games played.
• The under has hit in 15 of UW’s last 20 games overall and 12 of their last 15 in the month of September.
• Since 1981, Washington is 72-14 in home games against non-conference opponents.
• Michael Penix Jr. is 12-5 in his career as a starting QB.
• Washington’s pass defense was the best in the nation last season, allowing just 142.9 yards per game.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
- Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW Offense
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 SuperWest CFB Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s NFL West Week 2 Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 2 College Football Top 25
- NCAA West Women’s and Men’s Soccer Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Preseason College Football Top 25
- SuperWest Sports Preseason All-America Team
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-California Teams
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 Historical NBA Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Mock Draft
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Draft Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Statistical NFL Draft Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NFL Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Semifinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-UNC Sweet 16 Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Arizona-Houston Sweet 16 Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Quarterfinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s TCU vs Arizona NCAA Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-St. Mary’s 2nd-Round Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s First-Round NCAA Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Tuesday Pac-12 NIT Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Recap
- Steven Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tourney Championship Stat Preview
- Vilardo: Some Pac-12 Tournament Semifinal Insights
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Men’s Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 16 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 14 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW OffenseThrough three games, the Huskies are putting up 388.7 passing yards per game - September 20, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25How the nation's top teams stack up after another week of upsets and near misses - September 19, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 SuperWest CFB NotesThe 16 teams play 11 nonconference matchups with crossover games vs the Big Ten & ND - September 16, 2022