Posted on September 15, 2022
Last week Kansas City became the sixth team in the Super Bowl era to win eight consecutive season-opening games as they opened the season with a win in Arizona.
In that win, Patrick Mahomes recorded his sixth career game with at least five touchdown passes, tying for the fourth-most such games in NFL history.
Justin Herbert opened the season with his 14th career game with at least three touchdown passes, for the third-most such games by a player in his first three career seasons in NFL history.
This week the two of them get things started on Thursday Night. Here are a few notes and numbers for the AFC and NFC West games this week.
Thursday, Sept. 15
Los Angles Chargers (1-0) at Kansas City Chiefs (1-0)
5:15 PM ET |TV Prime Video: Al Michaels, Kirk Herbstreit, Kaylee Hartung
All-time Regular Season Series: Chiefs lead series, 65-57-1
Los Angeles Chargers
- Justin Herbert threw for 279 yards & 3 TDs with 0 INTs for a 129.4 rating last week, his 9th-career game with 3+ TD passes & 0 INTs, tied with Patrick Mahomes for most-ever by player in their 1st 3 seasons.
- Herbert has 13 TDs (10 pass, 3 rush) and 2 INTs for a 108.3 rating in 4 career games vs. KC. Is looking for his 9th in row vs. AFC West with 2+ TD passes. Aims for his 6th in a row on road with 300+ pass yards.
- Austin Ekeler had 72 scrimmage yards (36 rush, 36 rec.) in Week 1. Aims for his 4th in row vs. KC with a TD & he has a TD in 8 of his past 9 vs. The division. Had 441 scrimmage yards (110.3 per game) & 9 TDs (5 rush, 4 rec.) in 4 primetime games last season.
- Keenan Allen had 66 receiving yards last week. Has a TD catch in 4 of his past 5 vs. KC. In 3 career games on Thursday Night Football (TNF) has 3receiving touchdowns.
- Mike Williams has at least 100+ rec. yards & TD catch in 2 of his past 3 vs. KC. Has a receiving TD in 2 of his past 3 vs. AFC West opponents.
- Khalil Mack led the team with 3 sacks & had a FF last week in his Chargers debut, it was his 2nd career game with at least 3 sacks. Aiming for his 6th in row vs. KC with at least 0.5 sacks.
- Joey Bosa had 1.5 sacks & a FF in Week 1. Had a sack & a FF in last meeting with the Chiefs. Bosa had at least 0.5 sacks in 6 of 7 road games last season & 5 of 6 division games. Aims for his 5th in row in primetime with sack & 3rd in row with a FF.
- Asante Samuel Jr had an interception in his last game in Kansas City.
Kansas City Chiefs
- Patrick Mahomes threw for 360 yards & 5 TDs with 0 INTs for a 144.2 rating in week 1, his 6th-career game with 5+ TD passes, tied for the 4th-most in NFL history. Passed for 410 yards & 3 TDs in last game against the Chargers & aims for his 3rd in row vs them with at least 3 TD passes. Has 9 TDs with 1 INT for a 114.3 rating in 4 career starts on Thursdays.
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 74 scrimmage yards (42 rush, 32 rec.) & a career best 2 TD catches in Week 1. Rushed for 100 yards & with a receiving TD in last home game against the Chargers.
- Isiah Pacheco ran for 62 yards & a TD last week in his NFL debut.
- Travis Kelce led the Chiefs with 8 catches for 121 yards & a TD in Week 1, his 30th career game with at least 100 receiving yards, becoming the third TE ever (Rob Gronkowski & Tony Gonzalez) with 30+ such games. Had 10 catches for a career-high 191 yards with 2 TDs in last meeting & aims for his 4th in row vs. The Chargers with at least 90 receiving yards.
- JuJu Smith-Schuster has had at least 50 yards and a TD in 2 of his last 3 on primetime.
- Chris Jones has 4 sacks his past 2 on TNF.
- Carlos Dunlap has 5.5 sacks & 2 FFs in 6 career games vs the Chargers.
Sunday, Sept. 18
Atlanta Falcons (0-1) at Los Angeles Rams (0-1)
1:05 PM PT |TV FOX: Kevin Kugler, Mark Sanchez, Laura Okmin
All-time Regular Season series: Rams lead series 48-28-2
- Marcus Mariota threw for 215 yards & ran for 72 yards & a TD in Week 1. It was his 4th career game with at least 50 rushing yards & a rushing TD. Threw for 275 yards in his only career start vs. the Rams (12/24/17 w/ Ten.).
- Cordarrelle Patterson had 136 scrimmage yards (career-high 120 rush, 16 rec.) & ran for a TD last week. Had 676 scrimmage yards (75.1 per game) & 6 TDs (5 rush, 1 rec.) in 9 road games last season.
- Drake London had 5 catches for 74 yards in NFL debut last week, most receiving yards among rookies in Week 1.
- Olamide Zaccheaus is looking for his third game in a row with at least 40 receiving yards.
- Kyle Pitts has had at least 50 receiving yards in 6 of his last 7 on the road.
- AJ Tarrell had 13 PD & 2 INTs in 8 road games last season. Aims for his 5th in row on road with a PD.
- Grady Jarrett had 1.5 sacks last week, his 5th-career game with at least 1.5 sacks. Has at least 5 tackles in 5 of his past 7 on the road.
Los Angeles Rams
- Matthew Stafford threw for 240 yards in Week 1 & tied Drew Brees (183 games) for fewest games ever to reach 50,000 career pass yards. Has 2,589 pass yards (287.7 per game) & 22 TDs with 9 INTs for 102.2 rating in 9 home starts with the Rams. Has 1,555 passing yards (311 per game) in 5 career games vs. Atlanta.
- Darrell Henderson has had at least 50 scrimmage yards in 5 of his last 6 at home.
- Cooper Kupp tied his career high with 13 catches & had 128 yards & a TD last week. Has at least 5 catches in 22 straight games & can tie DeAndre Hopkins (23 from 2018-20) for second-longest such streak all-time. He has 10 receiving TDs in his past 10 at home. Aims for his 5th in row at home with at least 7 catches, 100 yards & receiving TD.
- Allen Robinson has had a receiving TD in each of his last two vs Atlanta.
- Aaron Donald recorded his 99th-career sack in Week 1. Has a sack in 4 of his past 5 at home & aims for his 4th in row at home with a TFL. Since 2014, he leads the NFL in sacks (99) & TFL (151). Had a sack, FF & FR in last meeting & aims for his 3rd in row vs. Atlanta with a sack.
- Bobby Wagner had 7 tackles & a sack in his Rams debut last week. Aims for his 5th in row vs. Atlanta with a TFL. Since 2012, Wagner leads the NFL with 1,384 tackles.
Seattle Seahawks (1-0) at San Francisco 49ers (0-1)
1:05 PM PT | TV FOX: Adam Amin, Mark Schlereth, Kristina Pink
All-time Regular Season Series: Seahawks lead 29-17
- Geno Smith completed 23 of 28 atts. (82.1%) for 195 yards & 2 TDs with 0 INTs for a 119.5 rating in Week 1, his 5th-career start with 80+ comp. Percentage & the highest rating among NFC QBs last week. Has a 115+ rating in each of his last 2 starts.
- Rashaad Penny ran for 60 yards last week. Had 125+ rush yards & a TD in 2 of his final 3 road games in 2021.
- DK Metcalf had a team-high 7 receptions in Week 1. Has 458 receiving yards (76.3 per game) & 4 receiving TDs in 6 career games vs. SF. Had a TD catch in last meeting.
- Tyler Lockett is looking for his 3rd in row on the road with a TD catch & 4th in row on road with 95+ receiving yards.
- Jordyn Brooks led Seattle with 12 tackles in Week 1 & has 11 games with 10+ tackles since 2021, the 3rd-most in the NFL. Had 106 tackles (11.9 per game) & 7 TFL in 9 road games last season & aims for his 7th in row on road with 10+ tackles.
- Shelby Harris had a TFL last week. Had 2 PD in his last game vs. SF (12/9/18 w/ Den.).
- Quandre Diggs had a TFL & his 5th-career FF last week. Had INT in last meeting & aims for his 3rd in a row vs. SF with INT.
San Francisco 49ers
- Trey Lance totaled 218 yards (164 pass, 54 rush) in Week 1. Threw for 249 yards & 2 TDs with 1 INT for a 116 rating in his only career home start (10/3/21 vs. Hou.). Had 198 yards (157 pass, 41 rush) & 2 TDs for a 117.1 rating in last home meeting.
- Jeff Wilson had 88 scrimmage yards (76 rush, 12 rec.) & 2 TDs (1 rush, 1 rec.) in his last home game vs. Seattle.
- Deebo Samuel had 66 scrimmage yards (52 rush, 14 rec.) & 12th-career rushing TD in Week 1. Had 754 scrimmage yards (94.3 per game) & 9 TDs (5 rec., 4 rush) in 8 home games last season. Has 247 scrimmage yards (134.7 per game) & 3 TDs (2 rec., 1 rush) in 3 career games vs. Seattle. Aims for his 4th in row vs. The Seahawks with at least 5 catches & 100 receiving yards. Had 2 receiving TDs the last time they hosted Seattle.
- Nick Bosa has 25.5 sacks in 36 career games. Had a sack in 3 of his final 4 home games in 2021. Had a sack & FF in last meeting & aims for his 3rd in row vs. Seattle with a sack.
- Fred Warner had 74 tackles (9.3 per game) in 8 home games in 2021. Has 5 TFL in his past 5 vs. Seattle & is looking for his 3rd in row vs the Seahawks with at least 9 tackles.
- Talanoa Hufanga led the 49ers with a career-high 11 tackles & had 1st-career INT in Week 1. He is 1 of 3 (Minkah Fitzpatrick & Marcus Williams) with at least 10 tackles & an INT last week.
Houston Texans (0-0-1) at Denver Broncos (0-1)
1:25 PM PT | TV CBS: Andrew Catalon, James Lofton, Michael Grady
All-time Regular Season Series: Denver leads 5-3
- Davis Mills completed 62.2% for 240 yards & 2 TDs with a 98.9 rating last week. Aims for his 3rd in row with at least 2 TD passes & 0 INTs.
- Rex Burkhead had 70 scrimmage yards (40 rush, 30 rec.) & 5 catches in Week 1. Aims for his 5th in row with 65+ scrimmage yards. Had TD catch in his last game at Denver (11/12/17 w/ NE). Has 5 TDs in his past 4 vs. AFC West.
- Brandin Cooks led Houston with 7 catches for 82 yards in Week 1. Has 7+ catches in 4 of his past 5. Has 50+ rec. yards in each of his 3 career games vs. Denver. Aims for his 3rd in row on the road with a TD catch.
- OJ Howard had 2 rec. TDs last week in Hou. debut, his 3rd-career game with 2 TDs & 1st since 2018. Had 49 rec. yards in only career game vs. Denver. (9/27/20 w/ TB).
- Jerry Hughes had 2 sacks, INT & FF last week in Houston debut, his 2nd-career game with both INT & FF.
- Kamu Grugier-Hill led Houston with 18 tackles & had a TFL & PD last week, the most tackles by any player in the NFL in Week 1. Aims for his 12th in row with at least 5 tackles.
- Jonathan Owens had a career-high 15 tackles & had PD last week, 2nd-most tackles by any player in the NFL in Week 1.
- Christian Kirksey had 9 tackles, a TFL & his 6th-career FR in Week 1. Aims for his 4th in row with at least 8 tackles & 3rd in row with a TFL.
- Russell Wilson completed 29 of 42 (69 pct.) for 340 yards & TD for a 101.3 rating last week in his Denver debut. Has 712 pass yards (356 per game) & 6 TDs with 1 INT for a 120 rating in his past 2 starts vs. Houston. Had 8 TDs and 0 INTs for a 136.1 rating in 3 starts vs. AFC South last season with Seattle.
- Melvin Gordon had 72 scrimmage yards (team-high 58 rush, 14 rec.) last week. Aims for his 4th in row with 70+ scrimmage yards. Had 89 scrimmage yards in only career game vs. Houston (11/27/16 w/ SD).
- Javonte Williams had 11 receptions in week 1, the second most ever by a Denver RB.
- Jerry Jeudy led Denver with 102 rec. yards & had a TD catch in Week 1, his 3rd career game with 100+ rec. Yards.
- Courtland Sutton had 4 catches for 72 yards last week. He had 5 catches in last meeting. Has 70+ rec. yards in 3 of his past 4 vs. AFC South.
- Kareem Jackson had 11 tackles, TFL, 3 PD & INT in last meeting. Totaled 88 PD & 16 INTs in 9 seasons with Houston.
Arizona Cardinals (0-1) at Las Vegas Raiders (0-1)
1:25 PM PT | TV CBS: Greg Gumbel, Adam Archuleta, AJ Ross
All-Time Regular Season Series: Raiders lead 6-4
- Kyler Murray had 19 TDs (15 pass, 4 rush) with 3 INTs for a 109.2 rating in 7 road starts in 2021, the 2nd-highest road passer rating in NFL last season. He has had at least 2 TD passes & 100+ rating in 4 of his past 5 road starts.
- James Conner had 5 catches, 55 scrimmage yards (29 rec., 26 rush) & a rushing TD in Week 1. Since 2021, he ranks 2nd in the NFL with 16 rushing TDs. Had 696 scrimmage yards (87 per game) & 9 TDs (7 rush, 2 rec.) in 8 road games last season.
- Since 2013, Zach Ertz ranks 2nd in receptions (637) & rec. yards (6,855) & 4th in rec. TDs (42) among all TEs. Had 6+ catches in 3 of his final 4 road games last season.
- Marquise Brown had 4 catches for 43 yards & rec. TD in Arizona debut last week. Had 5 catches for 69 yards & rec. TD in his last game vs. LV (9/13/21 w/ Bal.). Aims for his 5th in row on road with 5+ catches.
- Since 2017, Budda Baker leads all DBs in tackles (534) & games with 10+ tackles (19).
- Jalen Thompson had 9 tackles last week. Aims for his 9th in row on road with 6+ tackles.
Las Vegas Raiders
- Derek Carr completed 22 of 37 atts. (59.5 pct.) for 295 yards & 2 TDs last week. Threw for 2 TDs with 0 INTs for a 100.5 rating in last meeting. Aims for his 4th in row vs. NFC West with 0 INTs.
- Josh Jacobs had 73 scrimmage yards (57 rush, 16 rec.) in Week 1. Aims for his 9th in row with 70+ scrimmage yards. Has a rushing TD in 4 of his past 5 vs. NFC opponents. Totaled 358 scrimmage yards (119.3 per game) in final 3 home games in 2021.
- Davante Adams led the Raiders with 10 catches for 141 yards & TD last week in LV debut, his 20th-career game with 10+ catches, the 2nd-most in NFL since 2014. Has 100+ rec. yards in 3 of his past 4. Had 8 catches for 93 yards & TD in his last game vs. Arizona (12/2/18 w/ GB). Aims for his 5th in row vs. NFC West with 75+ rec. yards.
- Maxx Crosby had a career-high 10 tackles & a TFL in Week 1. Aims for his 5th in row at home with a TFL & 3rd in row with a sack.
- Chandler Jones is looking for his 5th in row vs. NFC West with a sack & 4th in row with FF. Jones had 30.5 sacks in three seasons with the Cardinals.
- Nate Hobbs had 9 tackles, a career-high 2 TFL, a PD & his 2nd-care
er FF in Week 1. Aims for his 3rd in row with TFL & PD.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
Latest posts by Stephen Vilardo (see all)
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 5 College Football Top 25
- Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW Offense
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 SuperWest CFB Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 2 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 1 SuperWest CFB Game Notes
- NCAA West Women’s and Men’s Soccer Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Preseason College Football Top 25
- SuperWest Sports Preseason All-America Team
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-California Teams
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 Historical NBA Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Mock Draft
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Draft Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Statistical NFL Draft Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NFL Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Semifinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-UNC Sweet 16 Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Arizona-Houston Sweet 16 Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Quarterfinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s TCU vs Arizona NCAA Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-St. Mary’s 2nd-Round Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s First-Round NCAA Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Tuesday Pac-12 NIT Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Recap
- Steven Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tourney Championship Stat Preview
- Vilardo: Some Pac-12 Tournament Semifinal Insights
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Men’s Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 16 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 5 College Football Top 25How the nation's top teams stack up after another week of upsets and near misses - September 26, 2022
Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW OffenseThrough three games, the Huskies are putting up 388.7 passing yards per game - September 20, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25How the nation's top teams stack up after another week of upsets and near misses - September 19, 2022