Posted on September 29, 2022
Meanwhile, Fresno State goes way out of conference with their longest road trip ever.
For the Pac-12, we see a lot of lopsided spreads for the tail end of the weekend.
Friday is the highlight of the Conference schedule for the week with a Washington vs UCLA matchup that will show if they both are for real with their unbeaten records.
So far, the Huskies have looked the part while the Bruins have yet to show they belong.
Thursday, September 29th
Utah State Aggies (1-3, 0-1) at BYU Cougars (3-1)
ESPN: 5:00 pm PT
- The Aggies are 6-64 all-time against Associated Press-ranked teams, but 5-10 in their last 15.
- Utah State is 12-5 (.706) in its last 17 September games and has won four of its last six (.667) road games during the month.
- The Under has hit in each of USU’s last five games.
- Utah State is 1-4 against the spread in their last five games.
- BYU holds a 50-37-3 edge in the battle for the Old Wagon Wheel.
- The Cougars are 16-1 in their last 17 home games.
- BYU is 13-1 all-time when playing Utah State as a ranked team.
- The Over has hit in five of BYU’s last six games
- BYU has averaged 296.5 passing yards per game through the first four games of the year, ranking 25th nationally.
- The Cougars are 2-5 against the spread in their last seven.
Friday, September 30th
San Diego State Aztecs (2-2, 0-0) at Boise State Broncos (2-2, 1-0)
FS1: 5:00 pm PT
San Diego State
- The Aztecs are just 3-6 against the spread in their last nine games played.
- SDSU is unbeaten in their last seven games decided by one score.
- The Aztecs are 54-2 the last 56 times they have run for 200 yards or more.
- San Diego State has won 27 straight games in which they led after three quarters.
- San Diego State is the only active Group of 5 program with a winning record against Boise State, 4-3, (min. 7 games played) and one of only three active schools overall.
Boise State Broncos
- The total has gone under in 10 of Boise State’s last 11 games.
- The Broncos are 0-4-1 against the spread in their last five games played.
- In 12 seasons in the Mountain West Conference, the Broncos have lost just 16 conference games.
- Boise State has won their last 125 home games when leading after three quarters, the longest active streak in the nation.
- When rushing for at least 140 yards, the Broncos are 7-0 under Andy Avalos.
Washington Huskies (4-0, 1-0) at UCLA Bruins (4-0, 1-0)
ESPN: 7:30 pm PT
- Washington is 4-1 against the spread in their last five games.
- In 45 offensive possessions this season, Washington has only had three three-and-outs.
- The Huskies have scored at least 39 points in each game this season.
- Washington has gotten points in 17 of their 20 first-half possessions this season.
- UW’s 3.75 sacks per game are the third most in the nation.
- Michael Penix, Jr. leads the nation in passing yards and passing yards per game with 347.0 per outing.
- Michael Penix is eighth in the nation in passing touchdowns with 12.
- The Bruins’ seven-game win streak is the third longest in the nation.
- UCLA is 5-2 against the spread in their last seven games.
- The Bruins are 14-5 in their last 19 against Washington.
- UCLA holds an 11-4 all-time record versus UW in the Rose Bowl.
- UCLA has outscored opponents 171-37 in the second half in their last seven game—78-21 in second halves this season.
- In the fourth quarter this season, UCLA has outscored opponents 37-7.
- UCLA is +23 turnovers in wins and -27 in losses overall under head coach Chip Kelly.
- Dorian Thompson-Robinson has 69 career TD passes, the second most in UCLA history.
- Last week Laiatu Latu recorded three sacks, becoming the first Bruin to record at least three sacks in a game since Takkarist McKinley did so against Utah on Oct. 22, 2016.
- Dorian Thompson-Robinson is fifth nationally with a completion percentage of .748
Saturday, October 1st
Oregon State Beavers (3-1, 0-1) at Utah Utes (3-1, 1-0)
Pac-12 Network: 11:00 am PT
- OSU is 4-1 against the spread in their last five games.
- This season the Beavers have outscored opponents 79-30 in the first half.
- In four games, the Beavers have had three different leading rushers.
- Twelve of Oregon State’s last 17 Pac-12 games have been decided by ten points or less.
- OSU has 24 passes defended this season, the tenth most in the nation.
- Anthony Gould leads the nation with a 24.6-yard average on punt returns.
- The Utes are 5-1 against the spread in their last six games.
- Utah’s seven-game Pac-12 win streak is the second longest conference win streak in the nation.
- Utah is 20-4 in their last 24 Pac-12 games.
- The Utes have won their last 10 games in Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- Utah is allowing just 132.8 passing yards per game this season, third best in the nation.
- The Utes have not allowed a point on the opponents opening drive of the game in any of their last six games.
- Utah has allowed just two touchdowns in its last 10 quarters of play.
- The Utes have forced at least one turnover in each of their last six games.
- Brant Kuithe has at least one reception in his last 32 games, the fifth-longest active streak in the country.
Fresno State Bulldogs (1-2, 0-0) at Connecticut Huskies (1-4)
CBS Sports Network: 12:30 pm PT
- This week’s road trip marks the longest trip for a game in Fresno State football program history. The Bulldogs are playing their farthest game east since playing at Rutgers in 2008.
- Fresno State is 1-4 against the spread in their last 5 games.
- The Bulldogs have seen the under hit in five of their last seven games and four of their last five on the road.
- Fresno State is unbeaten in its last three games against independents.
- Jordan Mims has had back-to-back 100-yard rushing games, for the second time in his career.
- Jordan Mims ranks 16th in the nation in rushing yards per game, averaging 103.7. He is also 18th in the nation in scoring, averaging 10.0 points per game.
- Fresno State has six players who have at least one sack on the season.
- The Huskies are 4-2 against the spread in their last 6 games.
- The over has hit in six of the last nine Connecticut games.
- The total has gone under in 13 of Connecticut’s last 20 games played in October.
- UConn is just 2-18 in their last 20 played.
- The Huskies are committing just 4.4 penalties per game, 13th-fewest in the nation.
California Golden Bears (3-1, 1-0) at Washington State Cougars (3-1, 0-1)
Pac-12 Network: 2:30 pm PT
- The Bears are 4-1 against the spread in their last five.
- Cal leads the all-time series 48-29-5 against Washington State.
- Last week Jaydn Ott rushed for 274 yards, the third-highest single-game total in Cal history.
- Jaydn Ott ranks third in rushing yards per carry (8.3), as well as 11th in total rushing yards (463) and rushing yards per game (115.8).
- Jaydn Ott’s 463 rushing yards are the most in the nation this season by a freshman.
- Cal’s 49 points last week were their most since the Golden Bears also scored 49 in a 49-7 victory at Oregon State on Oct. 20, 2018.
- Jeremiah Hunter is third in the Pac-12 with a 9.8 yards per punt return average.
- Five of the last seven between Cal and Washington State have seen the under hit.
- Washington State has gone 11-3 against the spread in their last 14 games.
- The Cougars lead the nation with 38 tackles for loss this season.
- WSU’s 14 sacks on the season are the fifth most in the country.
- Daiyan Henley has a Pac-12 best 8.5 TFL this season, the third most in the nation.
- Cameron Ward is tied for second in the Pac-12 with 10 touchdown passes.
- Donovan Ollie is second in the Pac-12 with 24 receptions.
Colorado Buffaloes (0-4, 0-1) at Arizona Wildcats (2-2, 0-1)
Pac-12 Network: 6:30 pm PT
- Colorado has held Arizona scoreless in the last six quarters the teams gave played.
- Colorado has lost their last seven on the road, the eighth longest streak in the nation.
- The last time Colorado won a true road game was in Tucson in December 2020.
- The Buffaloes’ five-game losing streak is the second longest in the country, (Colorado State has the longest at 10 games)
- The Buffs are 1-4 against the spread in their last five games.
- Owen McCown is the first left-handed starting QB for Colorado since 1988.
- Arizona is 8-4 against Colorado since the Buffs entered the Pac-12.
- The Wildcats are 2-4 against the spread in their last six games.
- Arizona has seen the point total go over in five of their last seven games.
- Jacob Cowing has had at least one reception in his last 36 games, tied for the second longest active streak in the nation.
- Michael Wiley has scored a TD in eight of his last 10 games.
- Jayden de Laura had a career-high 401 passing yards last week.
Arizona State Sun Devils (1-3, 0-1) at USC Trojans (4-0, 2-0)
ESPN: 7:30 om PT
- Arizona State has held opponents to less than 30 points in 31 of 47 games since 2018.
- Each of the Sun Devils’ last five games have seen the under hit.
- ASU is 1-5 against the spread in their last six on the road.
- The Sun Devils have an interception in six straight games dating back to last season and 11 of the last 12 games.
- Nesta Jade Silvera has 28 career tackles for loss or stops for no gain on runs, third nationally among active interior linemen.
- X Valladay has 88 runs for at least 10 yards since 2018 – tied for the fourth-most among active running backs nationally.
- USC leads the all-time series against ASU, 24- 14.
- The Trojans’ turnover margin of +3.5 per game is tops in the nation.
- USC is the only team in the nation to not commit a turnover.
- The Trojans are averaging 17.3 points off turnovers per game.
- Southern Cal is 4-2 against the spread in their last six played.
- Travis Dye has rushed for at least 100 yards in each of his last three games.
- Caleb Williams has a streak of 188 passes without an interception.
- Jordan Addison leads the Pac-12 and is fourth in the nation with six receiving TDs this season.
Stanford Cardinal (1-2, 0-2) at Oregon Ducks (3-1, 1-0)
FS1: 8:00 pm PT
- Stanford leads the all-time series, 50-34-1, with a 17-14 advantage in Eugene.
- The Cardinal have failed to cover in any of their last 10 games.
- Stanford is 4-2 against the spread in their last six against Oregon.
- Stanford is facing their third straight top-20 opponent, the first time the Cardinal has done that since the 2017 season.
- Under David Shaw, Stanford has 29 wins against ranked opponents, including 10 on the road. Under Shaw, the Cardinal is 4-4 against the Ducks when they are ranked.
- The Cardinal has defeated a Top 20 opponent on the road in eight of Shaw’s 11 seasons.
- Stanford has a –10 turnover margin this season.
- Stanford is 81-7 when leading at halftime under David Shaw, as opposed to 9-36 when trailing at the half.
- Oregon’s 21-game home winning streak is the third longest active streak in the nation.
- The Ducks have a 15-game home conference win streak, fourth-longest in the nation.
- Oregon is just 2-4 against the spread in their last six games.
- The Ducks have seen the over hit in four of their last five games.
- Oregon is the only team in the nation that has not allowed a sack this season.
- The Ducks have scored 40-plus points for the third straight game; the first time Oregon has scored 40-plus in three or more games since 2017.
- Last week Oregon had 11 tackles for loss.
- Troy Franklin has 18 catches for 305 yards in the last three games.
- Last week Bo Nix completed a career-high 33 passes for a career-high 428 yards and three touchdowns.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
- Vilardo: 2023 MW Football Title Preview & Power Rankings
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 14 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 13 NFL West Power Rankings & Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2023 Week 14 College Football Top 25
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 13 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- Vilardo: ’23 WK 13 MW Football Power Rankings & Previews
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 12 NFL West Power Rankings & Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2023 Week 13 College Football Top 25
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 12 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- Vilardo: ’23 WK 12 MW Football Power Rankings & Previews
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 11 NFL West Power Rankings & Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2023 Week 12 College Football Top 25
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 11 SuperWest Football Power Rankings
- Vilardo: ’23 WK 11 MW Football Power Rankings & Previews
- Vilardo: 2023 Week 10 NFL West Power Rankings & Previews
Vilardo: 2023 MW Football Title Preview & Power RankingsThe conference race came down to two matchups in the final week of the regular season - December 1, 2023
Vilardo: 2023 Week 14 SuperWest Football Power RankingsWith the regular season over and the championship games set, we see how the teams stack up - November 30, 2023
Vilardo: 2023 Week 13 NFL West Power Rankings & PreviewsIn the AFC, the Broncos keep winning, and an NFC matchup could decide conference supremacy - November 29, 2023