Posted on September 16, 2022
SuperWest teams play 11 nonconference matchups this weekend, with crossover games involving the Big Ten and Notre Dame, as well as in-region contests between Oregon-BYU, USC-Fresno State, and Utah-SDSU.
Here are some notes and numbers for this week’s games.
South Alabama Jaguars (2-0) at UCLA Bruins (2-0)
Pac-12 Network: 11:00 am (PDT)
Series: First Meeting
- The Jaguars are second in the nation in time of possession per game at 37:26.
- South Alabama is 1-6 against the spread in their last seven on the road, did cover at CMU last week.
- USA is 5-1 in their last six September games.
- The over has hit in seven of the Jaguars last 10 games.
- La’Damian Webb has had multiple touchdowns in each of his first two games as he now has four through the first two games this fall.
- Last week Carter Bradley’s 354 passing yards were tied for fourth most in a single game USA history.
- Carter Bradley is responsible for 25.0 points per game this season, the fifth most in the nation.
- Jalen Wayne’s 10 receptions last week were the third most in a single game in Jags history.
- The Bruins’ five-game win streak is the fifth-longest in the nation and longest among Pac-12 teams.
- UCLA has outscored opponents 93-16 in the second half of games during their current five-game winning streak.
- UCLA is 4-1 against the spread in their last five games.
- UCLA has failed to cover in the third game of the season in each of the last seven seasons.
- The over has hit in five of UCLA’s last seven games played.
- UCLA is averaging 244.5 yards per game on the ground, 15th in the nation.
- The Bruins have scored 40 or more points in five straight games for the first time since 1998, when they also recorded five in a row.
- UCLA is +21 turnovers in wins and -27 in losses overall under head coach Chip Kelly.
- The Bruins have scored in each of their last 19 quarters of football.
- UCLA’s 90 points in their opening two games of the season are their most after two games since opening 2017 with 101.
- Dorian Thompson-Robinson is currently 10th in the nation with a completion percentage of 75.9%
- Dorian Thompson-Robinson is now third in UCLA history with 9,208 yards of total offense.
California Golden Bears (2-0) at Notre Dame Fighting Irish (0-2)
NBC: 11:30 am (PDT)
Series: Notre Dame leads 4-0
- The Bears are just 1-7 in their last eight games on the road.
- Cal is 6-3 against the spread in their last nine games.
- The Bears are unbeaten in week 3 over the last six years.
- Four of Cal’s last five September games have seen the over hit.
- The Bears are 2-0 in the Eastern Time Zone under Justin Wilcox.
- Cal has held six of their last eight opponents to 14 points or less dating back to last season.
- In four games against Notre Dame all-time, Cal has averaged 6.75 points per game.
- Jack Plummer is ninth nationally with 25.5 completions per game.
- Last week Jaydn Ott became the first Cal player to register both a rushing and receiving touchdown in the same game since Christopher Brown Jr. did so against Washington State on Nov. 9, 2019.
- Jaydn Ott’s 156 rushing yards this season are the sixth most of any freshman in the nation.
- The Fighting Irish are 0-2 for the first time since 2011.
- Marcus Freeman is the first Notre Dame head coach to ever open his tenure 0-3.
- Notre Dame is the third team since 2000 to start the season in the preseason AP top 5 and lose its first 2 games of the season.
- Notre Dame is 14-1 all-time at home against Pac-12 opponents not named Stanford or USC. (Lone loss was to Arizona in 1982)
- The Irish are 5-1 the last six times they have worn green jerseys having won each of their last four.
- The Irish are 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 games.
- Notre Dame is 13-7 against the spread in their last 20 September games.
- Since 1980, Notre Dame is 213-24 (.899) when it scores 30 or more points.
- Michael Mayer’s 6.5 receptions per game are the most in the nation among TEs.
- Notre Dame quarterbacks are 14-5 in their first career starts in Notre Dame Stadium since 1998, Drew Pyne will be making his first start this week.
- Jon Sot is 24th in the country in punt average at 44.9 yards per punt.
Colorado Buffaloes (0-2) at Minnesota Golden Gophers (2-0)
ESPN2: 12:30 pm (PDT)
Series: Buffaloes lead 3-1
- The Buffs have lost their last six games away from Boulder, the ninth longest streak in the nation.
- The Buffaloes are 0-2 for the first time since 2012.
- Colorado is 1-6 against the spread in their last seven September games.
- In the last 15 seasons, the under has hit in 12 of Colorado’s week three games.
- In the loss last week Colorado limited Air Force to just 1 for 5 from the air for 8 yards. The last time CU allowed under 10 yards passing in a game was 1987 vs Nebraska—they did allow AFA 435 yards on the ground.
- Last week Colorado gained just 38 yards of offense in the second half.
- Colorado allowed 8.7 yards per play on first down last week.
- The Gophers lead the nation with 582 yards per game and are second in the nation with 302 rushing yards per outing.
- Minnesota also leads the nation with just 142.5 total yards allowed per game.
- The Gophers are 16-4 in their last 20 games played in September.
- Minnesota has won their last five games and covered in all five of them.
- The Gophers are second nationally with a third down conversion rate of 68.0%, they are allowing a conversion on just 13.6% also second in the nation.
- Tanner Morgan is second in the nation with 17.01 yards per completion.
- Mohamed Ibrahim is averaging 131.0 rushing yards per game, the seventh most in the nation on the young season.
- Mohamed Ibrahim has run for at least 100 yards in a Minnesota record 11 consecutive games.
- Through two games, Minnesota has averaged 41:52 in time of possession, and the Gophers have recorded 66 first downs while allowing 14.
- Chris Autman-Bell has at least one reception in 40 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the nation.
- The 10 points allowed by the Gophers through the first two games is the fewest since the 1999 Gophers allowed seven points over the first two contests.
- This season, Minnesota has allowed just nine plays from scrimmage of 10 yards or more, the second-fewest in the nation.
- The Gophers have not allowed a sack this season.
BYU Cougars (2-0) at Oregon Ducks (1-1)
FOX: 12:30 pm (PDT)
Series: Tied 3-3
- BYU’s four-game win streak in road games is the sixth longest active streak in the country.
- The Cougars have won seven of their last eight games.
- BYU is 5-1 in their last six road games.
- BYU is 4-1 against the spread in their last five September games.
- The Cougs are also 4-1 against the spread the last five times they have been an underdog.
- BYU is 14-16 all-time when ranked and playing another ranked opponent. The Cougars have won 3 of their last 4 Top 25 matchups.
- BYU is 20-5 under Kalani Sitake when playing as a ranked team.
- Jaren Hall is 7-1 against Power 5 teams as a starting quarterback and 3-0 vs ranked opponents.
- The Cougars limited Baylor to just 2.9 yards per carry on their 52 rush attempts last week.
- Christopher Banks is 30th in the nation with 6.38 yards per carry this season.
- Chase Roberts’ 122 receiving yards against Baylor was the first time a BYU freshman receiver had 100 yards since Cody Hoffman had 137 against UTEP in 2010.
- The Ducks have won their last 20 games at Autzen Stadium, the third-longest active home field win streak in the nation.
- Oregon is 9-1 in their last 10 September games.
- Oregon is 2-4 against the spread over their last six games.
- The Ducks have won 29-straight nonconference home games, the second-longest active streak in the nation.
- Oregon’s offense gained 40 first downs vs. EWU, breaking the program record of 39 set on Oct. 20, 2007.
- The Ducks have converted 58.6% of their third downs this season, 11th in the nation.
- Oregon averaged 5.5 yards per carry last week.
- Oregon is one of 10 teams that have not allowed a sack yet this season.
UT Martin Skyhawks (1-1) at Boise State Broncos (1-1)
FS1: 1:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Boise State leads 1-0
- Jason Simpson’s 77 wins at UTM are the third most in Ohio Valley Conference history.
- The Skyhawks are 0-4-1 against the spread in their last five games.
- UT Martin has not covered in any of their last 10 games.
- Dresser Winn has thrown for 330.5 yards per game in the first two weeks of the season.
- John H. Ford II leads the OVC in tackles (25), tackles for loss (3.5) and sacks (2.0)
- Colton Dowell’s 2,019 career receiving yards are the fourth most in Skyhawk history.
- Boise State has won 20-straight home openers, the fifth-longest active streak in the nation.
- BSU is 14-6 in their last 20 games played in September.
- The under has hit in eight of the Broncos last nine home games.
- Boise State is 14-2 in week three in the last 16 years.
- Since 2000, Boise State is 125-13 at home, the .906-win percentage during that time is second in the nation.
- The Broncos have scored in 313 consecutive such games, the eighth longest streak in NCAA history.
- Boise State is 7-0 under Andy Avalos when rushing for at least 140 yards.
- BSU collected 12 tackles for loss last week.
- Boise State’s six sacks last week were their most in a single game since Sept. 14, 2019, against Portland State.
Colorado State Rams (0-2) at Washington State Cougars (2-0)
Pac-12 Network: 2:00 pm (PDT)
Series: Rams lead 1-0
- CSU is 1-5 in their last six games away from Fort Collins.
- The Rams have failed to cover in any of their last eight games.
- Colorado State is 1-6 against the spread in their last seven against Pac-12 opponents.
- Troy Horton is sixth in the nation with an MWC-leading 127.5 receiving yards per game.
- The Rams are allowing 8.0 sacks per game, the worst mark in the country.
- Tory Horton has four touchdown receptions – tied for 3rd most in the nation.
- Tory Horton is the only CSU player to score a TD this season.
- Jake Dickert is looking to become the 9th WSU head coach to start 3-0 in his 1st full season and 1st since Mike Price opened 1989 at 4-0.
- Washington State is 9-3 against the spread in their last 12.
- The Cougars are looking to open 3-0 for the first time since 2019.
- Six of Washington State’s last seven September games have seen the under hit.
- Last week was the first time Washington State got a win over a ranked opponent in a true road game since a 2003 win at No.17 Colorado.
- WSU has 18 TFL and seven sacks this season, the second most in the Pac-12 in both categories.
- Washington State has had at least two takeaways in 12 of their last 15 games.
- Ranard Bell has at least one reception in each of the last 20 games.
- Cameron Ward is looking to become the 4th Cougar quarterback to win his 1st three starts at WSU since 1976; The other three were: Chad Davis (1994), Steve Birnbaum (1998), and Anthony Gordon (2019).
Michigan State Spartans (2-0) at Washington Huskies (2-0)
ABC: 4:30 pm PDT
Series: Washington leads 2-1
- Spartans are 5-1 against the spread in their last six games.
- Four of MSU’s last six on the road have seen the under hit.
- Michigan State is 13-2 in their last 15 games played.
- The Spartans have won their third game of the season in 16 of the last 20 years.
- Jalen Berger has four rushing touchdowns this season, tied for the third most in the nation.
- Jacoby Windmon leads the nation with 2.75 sacks per game.
- The Spartans 10 tackles for loss per game is tied for the fifth most in the nation.
- MSU has allowed just 2.5 tackles for loss per game this season, the seventh-fewest in the nation.
- Washington is 74-14 at home vs non-conference opponents since 1981.
- Huskies are 5-11 against the spread in their last 16 played.
- The over has hit in five of UW’s last seven home games.
- Washington has won their third game of the season in each of the last nine years.
- Michael Penix leads the Pac-12 with 682 passing yards and 6 passing touchdowns.
- Michal Penix is 14-5 in his career as a starter.
- Jalen McMillan is 15th in the nation with 23.78 yards per reception.
- Washington has allowed just 3.0 tackles for loss per game this season, the 17th fewest in the nation.
Montana State Bobcats (2-0) vs Oregon State Beavers (2-0) in Portland
Pac-12 Network: 5:00 pm (PDT)
Series: First meeting
- The Bobcats are 0-8 in their last eight road openers.
- Montana State has topped 40 points in each of its first two games of 2022, the fifth time in history for such a milestone.
- Montana State has 15 sacks through two games.
- Tommy Mellott stands sixth in the FCS in passing efficiency, 22nd in completion percentage (.667), and 25th in passing yards per game (232.0).
- Sebastian Valdez has 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in MSU’s first two contests.
- Oregon State is 2-0 for the first time since the 2014 season when the Beavers opened that season 3-0.
- The Beavers are 4-2 against the spread in their last six.
- The Beavs are 5-0 against the spread in their last five in the month of September.
- Oregon State’s defense has forced seven 3-and-out possessions in two games this season. Last year the Beaver defense didn’t force its seventh until the fifth game of the year.
- OSU’s five plays of 40+ yards this season are the seventh most nationally.
- The Beavers are a perfect 7-for-7 in the red zone this season.
- Oregon State has outscored opponents 38-13 in the first half this season.
- Luke Musgrave’s 84.5 receiving yards per game are the most of any TE in the nation.
- Luke Musgrave has 21 receptions over his last four games after totaling 26 in his first 16.
- Chance Nolan is third in the nation with 16.79 yards per completion this season.
San Diego State Aztecs (1-1) at Utah Utes (2-0)
ESPN2: 7:00 pm PDT
Series: Utah leads 17-13-1
- The last two meetings have been decided by a combined six points.
- 11 of the last 13 between the teams have been single-digit games.
San Diego State
- The Aztecs have won their last five road games, the third longest streak in the nation.
- SDSU is 2-5 against the spread in their last seven games.
- Since the start of the 2019 campaign, San Diego State is 18-5 in games decided by seven or more points.
- The Aztecs are 7-3 against Pac-12 teams since the start of the 2016 season.
- San Deigo State is 53-2 the last 55 games they have run for at least 200 yards in a game.
- The Aztecs have held 19 of their last 30 opponents to 17 points or less.
- Utah has won nine straight home games the 13th longest streak in the nation.
- The Utes are 20-1 in their last 21 home games.
- The Utes are 5-1 in their last six against San Diego State in Salt Lake City.
- Utah is 8-4 against the spread in their last 12 games played.
- Utah is 28-4 in regular season non-conference games since joining the Pac-12 in 2011 and is 19-0 at home during that era.
- Brant Kuithe has at least one reception in 30 consecutive games, the fifth-longest active streak in the nation. It is the longest streak of any TE in the nation.
- The Utes allowed just 85 total yards last week, the second-fewest by a Pac-12 team in the four seasons.
Fresno State Bulldogs (1-1) at USC Trojans (2-0)
FOX: 7:30 pm PDT
Series: USC leads 4-1
- The Bulldogs are 5-1 against the spread in their last six games on the road.
- Jake Haener is fifth in the nation with 368.5 yards passing per game.
- Nikko Remigio’s 191 all-purpose yards per game are the second most nationally.
- The Bulldogs are facing a top-10 opponent for the first time since 2017.
- Fresno State has not beaten a top-10 opponent since a 2001 win over No. 10 Oregon State.
- Fresno State is 28-47 all-time against current members of the Pac-12.
- Jake Haener has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 21 consecutive games, the third longest streak in MWC history.
- Southern California is 3-6 ATS in their last nine games.
- The over has hit in each of USC’s last seven in the Coliseum.
- USC leads the nation with a turnover margin of 4.5 per game.
- Caleb WIlliams is second in the nation with a passing efficiency of 221.1
- USC’s five plays of 40+ yards this season are tied for the seventh most nationally.
- The Trojans 10 tackles for loss per game is tied for the fifth most in the nation.
- USC is 33-1-1 (.955) against current Mountain West Conference teams.
- The Trojans did not have a third down against Stanford until the final minute of the game
Eastern Michigan Eagles (1-1) at Arizona State Sun Devils (1-1)
Pac-12 Network: 8:00 pm PDT
Series: First Meeting
- Chris Creighton has directed his EMU teams to three Power Five wins during his tenure in Ypsilanti.
- Creighton is the only active MAC coach with multiple wins over Power Five foes.
- Eastern Michigan has had a non-conference road win in every season since 2015, looking for their first one this season.
- The program has won 12 non-conference road games since 1976—seven have been in Chris Creighton’s nine seasons.
- The Eagles are 1-5 against the spread in their last six games.
- Eastern Michigan is 1-6 against the spread in their last seven games played in September.
- The Eagles have played one game against a Pac-12 opponent, a 1988 55-0 loss to Arizona.
- The total has gone over in six of Eastern Michigan’s last nine games.
- The Eagles have yet to allow a first-quarter point this season.
- Dylan Drummond has at least one reception in each of his last 33 games, the fourth longest streak in the nation.
- The Sun Devils are 7-1 in their last eight home games.
- Arizona State has gone 17 games without allowing a 50+-yard play – the longest active streak in the nation.
- ASU has held opponents to less than 30 points in 31 of 45 games under Herm Edwards.
- The Sun Devils have an interception in four straight games dating back to last season and nine of the last 10 games.
- Eddie Czaplicki’s 75-yard punt is the third longest in the nation this season.
- Arizona State’s 7.5 passes defended per game are the seventh most in the nation.
- The Sun Devils have run for at least 100 yards in each of their last 20 games, the sixth-longest active streak in the nation.
- Merlin Robertson has six career interceptions, which leads all FBS linebackers.
- X Valladay leads all active FBS running backs with 3,515 career yards.
North Dakota State Bison (2-0) at Arizona Wildcats (1-1)
FS1: 8:00 pm (PDT)
Series: First meeting
North Dakota State
- The Bison are 7-0 against the spread in their last seven games played.
- North Dakota State is 9-3 against FBS opponents and has won six in a row since 2010.
- Eleven different players have scored touchdowns in the first two games for North Dakota State.
- North Dakota State has a 47-6 record in true road games since 2011.
- The Bison have outscored their opponents 99-17 this season.
- NDSU’s 204 yards allowed per game this season is fifth in the FCS.
- The Bison have a turnover margin of +2.5 this season, second in the FCS.
- North Dakota State has allowed 84.5 passing yards per game this season.
- The Bison have won nine of the last 11 National Championships at the FCS level.
- Arizona is 15-1 all-time against FCS opponents, lone loss last season to NAU.
- Arizona is 1-11 in their last 12 at home.
- The Wildcats are tied for 13th nationally with five total turnovers forced.
- Jacob Cowing has caught a pass in 34 consecutive games, the second longest streak in the country.
- Jacob Cowing has tallied four touchdown catches through two games, tied for the Pac-12 lead. He has already matched the Wildcats 2021 leader in touchdown receptions, running back Michael Wiley.
- Jerry Roberts 11.0 tackles per game are the second most in the Pac-12.
- Jayden de Laura is 6-0 in his career when throwing for 3+ touchdowns.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
- Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW Offense
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s NFL West Week 2 Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 2 College Football Top 25
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 1 SuperWest CFB Game Notes
- NCAA West Women’s and Men’s Soccer Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Preseason College Football Top 25
- SuperWest Sports Preseason All-America Team
- 2022 SuperWest Preseason Pac-12 All-California Teams
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 Historical NBA Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Mock Draft
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Draft Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Statistical NFL Draft Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NFL Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Semifinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-UNC Sweet 16 Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Arizona-Houston Sweet 16 Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Quarterfinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s TCU vs Arizona NCAA Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-St. Mary’s 2nd-Round Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s First-Round NCAA Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Tuesday Pac-12 NIT Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Recap
- Steven Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tourney Championship Stat Preview
- Vilardo: Some Pac-12 Tournament Semifinal Insights
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Men’s Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 16 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 14 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
Vilardo QB Notes: Penix Jr. Transforming UW OffenseThrough three games, the Huskies are putting up 388.7 passing yards per game - September 20, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 4 College Football Top 25How the nation's top teams stack up after another week of upsets and near misses - September 19, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 3 SuperWest CFB NotesThe 16 teams play 11 nonconference matchups with crossover games vs the Big Ten & ND - September 16, 2022