Posted on May 16, 2023
What might be the strongest season for Pac-12 QBs in the history of the conference may have arrived.
The transfer portal has enriched the Pac-12 QB stable, with almost every starter in the conference having started out at another school.
Defending Heisman winner, Caleb Williams, obviously has the top spot. The debate begins after No. 1 in a stacked field.
1. Caleb Williams, Junior, USCNo question here, even though Penix and Nix are major stars.
Williams joined elite conference company by winning the Heisman in 2022.
The big question here is if he can do it again.
2. Michael Penix Jr., Senior, WashingtonPenix was absolutely lights out for Washington in 2022, leading the nation in passing, but most importantly, stepping up in big moments to lead them to an 11-2 record.
Another year in Kalen DeBoer’s offense with almost all of his offensive playmakers coming back around him, and he’s a legit 2023 Heisman contender.
3. Bo Nix, Senior, OregonNix found new life in Eugene and turned into one of the scariest QBs in the country in 2022 as he was nearly unstoppable at times with his ability to make plays with his arm and feet.
He has another lap in college football and his ability to tuck and run makes him a nightmare for just about every defense in the Pac-12.
4. Cam Rising, Senior, UtahRising has led Utah to back-to-back conference titles and now has the best experience of any QB in the conference.
He still has room to grow as a playmaker, and he could be an all-time great Ute quarterback if he does, especially if he gets them a third-straight conference title.
5. Cam Ward, Junior, Washington StateWard flashed quite a bit in his first season of FBS football.
He wasn’t really a star but it feels like he could take the next step in 2023 and turn into a big time difference-maker for the Cougars every week.
6. Jayden de Laura, Junior, ArizonaWhen de Laura is on and feeling it he’s one of the scariest QBs in the country—see him against UCLA and Washington last year.
He’s fast, slippery, and can throw downfield.
And if he puts it together for a full season, Arizona should go to a bowl game.
7. DJ Uiagalelei, Junior, Oregon StateDJU has just been fine at Clemson.
Can he take the next step ala Bo Nix in 2022 at a new school that desperately needs better play at QB?
I think he will be at least solid.
8. Collin Schlee, Senior, UCLATough call here between Schlee and five-star freshman Dante Moore.
I’m going with Schlee at least at the start of the season and he looked good enough at Kent State to be a decent Pac-12 QB who is hard to stop with his mobility and quick release.
9. Shedeur Sanders, Junior, ColoradoSanders comes in from Jackson State with a lot of heat.
He hasn’t played a down in FBS though, let alone a Power conference so it will be interesting to see how he can translate, especially early on.
Right now I’ll put him at the top of the guys who haven’t truly played in big-time college football yet.
10. Drew Pyne, Junior, Arizona StatePyne started for Notre Dame in 2022 and was solid.
I give him the inside track over blue-chip freshman Jaden Rashada for now.
11. Sam Jackson V, Sophomore, CalJackson brings a lot of talent and potential with him from TCU.
He assuredly will have to get adjusted as a starter, though, in the Pac-12.
12. Ari Patu, Junior, StanfordHow crazy is this?
Patu is the only non-transfer in the conference and is a complete unknown.
—More from Jack Follman—
- Jack Follman’s 2023 Pac-12 Running Back Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Way-Too-Early 2024 Pac-12 NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s Top 12 Pac-12 NFL Draft Prospects for 2024
- Great Debate: Ranking Pac-12(10) TV Markets (Without L.A.)
- Jack Follman’s Final 2023 Pac-12 NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s Breakout Pac-12 Football Stars for 2023
- Jack Follman’s 2023 Pac-12 Transfer Portal Class Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Biggest Portal Loss for Each Pac-12 Team
- Jack Follman’s Best Football Transfer for Each Pac-12 Team
- Jack Follman’s 2023 Pac-12 Football Trap Games
- Jack Follman’s 2022-23 Pac-12 All-NFL Team
- Jack Follman’s Updated Two-Round 2023 NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s Top 2023 Pac-12 Football Impact Freshman
- Jack Follman’s Top 12 Incoming Pac-12 Football Transfers
- Jack Follman’s Way-Too-Early 2023 Pac-12 Bowl Projections
Jack Follman’s 2023 Pac-12 Running Back RankingsTalented sophomores Damien Martinez and Jaydn Ott will battle Bucky Irving for the top spot - May 23, 2023
Jack Follman’s 2023 Pac-12 Quarterback RankingsThis might be the strongest and deepest class of signal-callers in the history of the Conference - May 16, 2023
Jack Follman’s Way-Too-Early 2024 Pac-12 NFL Mock DraftIt has the potential to be another very shallow First Round for Conference pro prospects - May 1, 2023