Yahoo Sports: Barry Alvarez played football at Nebraska for Bob Devaney, coordinated defenses at Notre Dame for Lou Holtz and built Wisconsin football from a doormat into a bruising brand. Alvarez has lived the quintessential football life, one that’s earned him a spot in the College Football Hall of Fame and given him the distinction of having one of the game’s most respected voices.
As Alvarez built the foundation of Wisconsin football and shepherded it into its current smash-mouth iteration, he also became one of the game’s consummate tough guys. So it was striking when reached on the phone Friday evening that Alvarez summed up his feelings on the fate of the 2020 college football season this way to Yahoo Sports: “I’m afraid.”
The Wisconsin legend said he's 'afraid' ahead of the 2020 season and has a variety of valid concerns as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage across the country.
—More from News Feed—
- Wilner: Pac-12 Conference athletic department power ratings
- Mario Cristobal reveals his Miami pitch to football recruits
- Lincoln Riley evaluates the current state of USC’s roster entering Year 2
- WSU’s Justin Powell will test NBA Draft waters but there’s more to the story
- UCLA’s Jaylen Clark named NABC Defensive Player of the Year
- Oregon transfer Kel’el Ware drawing interest from marquee programs
- ASU has ‘worst practice by far’, OL Ben Coleman out for 1st half of season
- Former Utah offensive lineman trying out for WrestleMania
- Colorado spring game nearly sold out ahead of Deion Sanders’ first season
- Congress to hold first NIL hearing as new NCAA prez seeks antitrust exemption
- Top 10 CFB programs entering 2023 season per 247Sports
- Possible CFB recruiting rule changes ‘may keep more coaches in college’
- USC’s Lincoln Riley 4th highest-paid CFB coach entering 2023 season
- Four-year ESPN probe identifies failures before a Utah athlete’s slaying
- Call: Is adding San Diego State to the Pac-12 a ‘no-brainer’?
- Wilner: Pac-12 Conference athletic department power ratings - March 29, 2023
- Mario Cristobal reveals his Miami pitch to football recruits - March 29, 2023
- Lincoln Riley evaluates the current state of USC’s roster entering Year 2 - March 29, 2023