Yahoo Sports: Barry Alvarez played football at Nebraska for Bob Devaney, coordinated defenses at Notre Dame for Lou Holtz and built Wisconsin football from a doormat into a bruising brand. Alvarez has lived the quintessential football life, one that’s earned him a spot in the College Football Hall of Fame and given him the distinction of having one of the game’s most respected voices.
As Alvarez built the foundation of Wisconsin football and shepherded it into its current smash-mouth iteration, he also became one of the game’s consummate tough guys. So it was striking when reached on the phone Friday evening that Alvarez summed up his feelings on the fate of the 2020 college football season this way to Yahoo Sports: “I’m afraid.”
The Wisconsin legend said he's 'afraid' ahead of the 2020 season and has a variety of valid concerns as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage across the country.
—More from News Feed—
- Report: Texas, OU lesser buyout leaves Big 12 member schools ‘dumbfounded’
- Cal’s quarterback quandary: Sam Jackson V or Ben Finley or both
- USC forward Vince Iwuchukwu to return first half of season after back surgery
- Former Duck Oti Gildon returning to WBB staff as dir of player development
- Utah football reveals Homecoming uniform with Sugar Bowl twist
- BYU’s Jewish QB is balancing football with High Holy Days this month
- Coach Prime says Shedeur Sanders isn’t a ‘backseat rider’ to Caleb Williams
- Colorado is ‘transcending sport’ with Deion Sanders, Big 12 commish says
- Oregon State AD sees value of potential relegation model in college football
- Thamel: Arizona St. to start QB Drew Pyne as injuries mount
- WSU, OSU anticipate fuller Pac-12 picture within next month
- Aztecs ‘Work in progress’ as they open conference play against Boise State
- USC, Lincoln Riley end reporter suspension after ‘productive conversation’
- Could a promotion-relegation style system come to college football?
- Oregon’s Hayward Field will host 2024 US Olympic Track & Field Trials
- Report: Texas, OU lesser buyout leaves Big 12 member schools ‘dumbfounded’ - September 22, 2023
- Cal’s quarterback quandary: Sam Jackson V or Ben Finley or both - September 22, 2023
- USC forward Vince Iwuchukwu to return first half of season after back surgery - September 22, 2023