USA TODAY: With the 2020 college football season seemingly on the brink due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, players flocked to social media with a simple message: #WeWantToPlay.
Later Sunday, some of the biggest names in the sport — among them Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, Ohio State QB Justin Fields, Alabama RB Najee Harris and Oklahoma State RB Chuba Hubbard — took to Twitter to reiterate their stance on the 2020 season, calling on the Power Five conferences to take certain actions to help make that happen.
Most notable in the statement was the players’ call to begin groundwork for a college football players association.
In a unified statement, some of college football's top players called on Power Five conferences to take several steps to make a 2020 season happen.
—More from News Feed—
- Oregon State president says athletics revenue could fall 44 percent by 2025
- Jackson & Libit: UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center clings to Vegas venue relevance
- NCAA denies edge Zach Durfee bid to play for UW right away, appeal filed
- QB Dante Moore reflects on pivotal game-starting interception in Utah loss
- USC kicker Denis Lynch awarded a scholarship via head coach Lincoln Riley
- Deion Sanders gives medical update on Shilo Sanders ahead of USC game
- CU, USC showdown pits Sanders’ 2023 transfers against Riley’s portal stars
- Wilner: What to make of Colorado? Don’t overthink the Buffs, just enjoy them
- Canzano: Pac-12 football winning on the field and on nation’s televisions
- Linebacker Harrison Taggart could move into key role in BYU’s defense
- Dan Lanning fires back at Skip Bayless over pregame speech criticism
- Oregon exposes Shilo Sanders and Colorado trash talk in viral video
- QB Trenton Bourget expected back, Drew Pyne ‘banged up still’ for ASU
- Kenny Dillingham candid with self-criticism, dialing back emotion
- Jedd Fisch ‘would have no concern’ if QB Noah Fifita has to start vs. Huskies
- Oregon State president says athletics revenue could fall 44 percent by 2025 - September 26, 2023
- Jackson & Libit: UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center clings to Vegas venue relevance - September 26, 2023
- NCAA denies edge Zach Durfee bid to play for UW right away, appeal filed - September 26, 2023