Posted on June 28, 2022
After finally reaching the summit of the conference and reaching the Rose Bowl in the 2021-22 season, Utah Football’s Kyle Whittingham reportedly considered retirement.
Instead, he’s back with Utah as one of the favorites to win the Conference and he’s also looking to raise Utah’s profile as a program.
His new contract includes requirements that the school include some pretty significant upgrades to the facilities that the Utes’ football team uses.
On this episode of Locked On Pac-12, I look at something that hopefully becomes a recurring trend in the Conference.
The most infamous (recent) example of a school not being willing to make a financial commitment to a head coach took place at Colorado, which saw Mel Tucker leave for Michigan State and win the Peach Bowl last year.
If the Pac-12 wants to be a more relevant and respected conference on a national scale, schools have to be willing and able to invest in facilities and coaches’ salaries the way other conferences do.
Most recently, Cal and UCLA worked out extensions and raises for their head coaches after each expressed interest in the Oregon job.
Justin Wilcox’s deal could keep him in Berkeley through the 2027 season, while Kelly’s goes through the 2025 campaign.
Making investments in coaches is a good sign for the Conference, though it seems unlikely both will see these contracts through in their entirety.
Support Us By Supporting Our Sponsors!
• Built Bar is a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. Go to builtbar.com and use promo code “LOCKED15,” and you’ll get 15% off your next order
• BetOnline.net has you covered this season with more props, odds, and lines than ever before. BetOnline – Where The Game Starts!
• Rock Auto has an amazing selection. Reliably low prices. All the parts your car will ever need. Visit RockAuto.com and tell them Locked On sent you.
Want more daily content on the Pac-12 conference?
Follow & Subscribe to the Podcast on these platforms…
—More from Spencer McLaughlin—
- McLaughlin: Wildcats will Increase Win Total in 2022
- McLaughlin: WSU Should be Over .500 Again in 2022
- McLaughlin: Winning Season a Challenging Goal for Huskies
- McLaughlin: Will Buffs be Worst Pac-12 Team in 2022?
- McLaughlin: Why Utah Football will be Over 8.5 wins in 2022
- McLaughlin: Can UCLA football reach 10 wins in 2022?
- McLaughlin: Predicting every game on USC’s 2022 Schedule
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Teams with the Biggest QB Questions
- McLaughlin: The Complications of Pac-12 Realignment
- McLaughlin: Will Major Pac-12 Football Commits Flip?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Football Title Contenders in 2022
- McLaughlin: George Kliavkoff is Not Backing Down
- McLaughlin: The Latest Conference Realignment Speculation
- McLaughlin: USC, UW Football Hot on Recruiting Trail
- McLaughlin: Lincoln Riley’s Expectations at USC in Year One
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Football Head Coaches Feeling Pressure
- McLaughlin: Will Pushback on UCLA’s Move Matter?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 has one option left to make a big splash
- McLaughlin: What does Breakdown of Big 12 Talks Signal?
- McLaughlin: Is Conference Realignment affecting Recruiting?
- McLaughlin: What comes Next for the Pac-12 Conference?
- McLaughlin: Reactions to Dante Moore Committing to Ducks
- McLaughlin: What is the Pac-12 Conference’s next move?
- McLaughlin: Is the Big 12 a realistic landing spot for Oregon?
- McLaughlin: Which Schools Could the Pac-12 Add?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Must Keep Top Talent in West
- McLaughlin: Can UW Football Re-Emerge as National Power?
- McLaughlin: Will Stanford Exceed 4.5 Wins in 2022?
- McLaughlin: Which Pac-12 School has Highest NIL Potential?
- McLaughlin: UW Can & Must Compete on Recruiting Trail
McLaughlin: Wildcats will Increase Win Total in 2022Spencer predicts the outcome of every Arizona game on its 2022 schedule - August 16, 2022
McLaughlin: WSU Should be Over .500 Again in 2022Spencer predicts the outcome of every Washington State game on its 2022 schedule - August 15, 2022
McLaughlin: Winning Season a Challenging Goal for HuskiesSpencer predicts the outcome of every Washington game on its 2022 schedule - August 13, 2022