Posted on June 28, 2022
After finally reaching the summit of the conference and reaching the Rose Bowl in the 2021-22 season, Utah Football’s Kyle Whittingham reportedly considered retirement.
Instead, he’s back with Utah as one of the favorites to win the Conference and he’s also looking to raise Utah’s profile as a program.
His new contract includes requirements that the school include some pretty significant upgrades to the facilities that the Utes’ football team uses.
On this episode of Locked On Pac-12, I look at something that hopefully becomes a recurring trend in the Conference.
The most infamous (recent) example of a school not being willing to make a financial commitment to a head coach took place at Colorado, which saw Mel Tucker leave for Michigan State and win the Peach Bowl last year.
If the Pac-12 wants to be a more relevant and respected conference on a national scale, schools have to be willing and able to invest in facilities and coaches’ salaries the way other conferences do.
Most recently, Cal and UCLA worked out extensions and raises for their head coaches after each expressed interest in the Oregon job.
Justin Wilcox’s deal could keep him in Berkeley through the 2027 season, while Kelly’s goes through the 2025 campaign.
Making investments in coaches is a good sign for the Conference, though it seems unlikely both will see these contracts through in their entirety.
Support Us By Supporting Our Sponsors!
• Built Bar is a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. Go to builtbar.com and use promo code “LOCKED15,” and you’ll get 15% off your next order
• BetOnline.net has you covered this season with more props, odds, and lines than ever before. BetOnline – Where The Game Starts!
• Rock Auto has an amazing selection. Reliably low prices. All the parts your car will ever need. Visit RockAuto.com and tell them Locked On sent you.
Want more daily content on the Pac-12 conference?
Follow & Subscribe to the Podcast on these platforms…
🎧Apple Podcast: https://rb.gy/pznife
Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Smalls_55
Follow the show on Twitter: https://twitter.com/LO_Pac12
—More from Spencer McLaughlin—
- McLaughlin: Pressure Ramping up on George Kliavkoff
- McLaughlin: ASU Better Suited for Pac-12 or Big 12?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Should Aim for 5 or 6-Year Media Deal
- McLaughlin: Signs Pac-12 Media Deal may be Coming Soon
- McLaughlin: Best Indication Yet that Pac-12 is Unified?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Should Only Have 1 Streaming Partner
- McLaughlin: Does New President Change Oregon’s Future?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Allowing Media to Shape Narrative
- McLaughlin: No Deadline for Pac-12 Media Rights Deal?
- McLaughlin: Pros and Cons of Oregon Joining the Big Ten
- McLaughlin: What Lack of Media Deal Means for Pac-12
- McLaughlin: Rating New Oregon Assistants as Recruiters
- McLaughlin: Former Coaches Concerned about Pac-12
- McLaughlin: UCLA or Arizona First Pac-12 Natty since 1997?
- McLaughlin: Oregon Better as Independent than in Pac-12?
McLaughlin: Pressure Ramping up on George KliavkoffSpencer is joined by 'Locked On Big 12' host Josh Neighbors to talk about the two conferences - March 22, 2023
McLaughlin: ASU Better Suited for Pac-12 or Big 12?Spencer is joined by 'Locked on Sun Devils' host Richie Bradshaw to discuss the pros and cons - March 21, 2023
McLaughlin: Pac-12 Should Aim for 5 or 6-Year Media DealSpencer looks at what might come out of the Pac-12 CEOs meeting on Tuesday, March 21st - March 20, 2023