Posted on September 5, 2022
The Pac-12 went into the 2022 season with headlines marred with rumors and speculation (in addition to confirmed reports) about conference realignment and the possibility of more teams leaving the league beyond USC and UCLA in 2024.
Looking to regain some sense of legitimacy on the national stage of college football, the Pac-12 sent two teams into battle against SEC foes.
Both Oregon and Utah came up short, and it was not what Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff wanted to see after a full weekend of college football.
On today’s episode of Locked On Pac-12, I’m joined by senior writer/editor at BeaverBlitz.com, Carter Bahns.
The Pac-12’s brand was already dwindling with the departure of USC and UCLA for the Big Ten in addition to their lack of success on the football field.
With Oregon’s 49-3 blowout loss to Georgia and Utah losing as a favorite to a Florida team that went 6-7 in 2021, the perception of the Conference has almost certainly gone down further.
Not every team had such a disappointing weekend, however, most notably Arizona and Oregon State.
The Wildcats went into their game against San Diego State as 6.5 point underdogs but emerged with a convincing 38-20 victory over the Aztecs in the biggest win of Jedd Fisch’s tenure as head coach.
Oregon State thumped Boise State led by a much-improved defense, lending credence to the idea that the Beavs could be ready for a major leap under fifth-year head coach Jonathan Smith.
Support Us By Supporting Our Sponsors!
• Built Bar is a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. Go to builtbar.com and use promo code “LOCKED15,” and you’ll get 15% off your next order
• BetOnline.net has you covered this season with more props, odds, and lines than ever before. BetOnline – Where The Game Starts!
• Rock Auto has an amazing selection. Reliably low prices. All the parts your car will ever need. Visit RockAuto.com and tell them Locked On sent you.
Want more daily content on the Pac-12 conference?
Follow & Subscribe to the Podcast on these platforms…
—More from Spencer McLaughlin—
- McLaughlin: Is USC on Upset Alert against Oregon State?
- McLaughlin: Oregon RBs, Potential Breakout Players at WSU
- McLaughlin: UCLA’s ‘Slow’ Start, Biggest Week 4 Headlines
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Football Looks Strong Through 3 Weeks
- McLaughlin: CFB Coaches Arizona State Should be Targeting
- McLaughlin: Winners and Losers from a Big Pac-12 Weekend
- McLaughlin: Important Week 3 Factors for USC, UW and Cal
- McLaughlin: Arizona, ASU & WSU Should be on High Alert
- McLaughlin: Huskies Have Biggest Opportunity in Week 3
- McLaughlin: Can Lincoln Riley keep the Trojans Rolling?
- McLaughlin: USC and WSU Win the Pac-12 Football Weekend
- McLaughlin: Biggest Week 2 Questions for Pac-12 Big Games
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Football Might be in for a Rough Week 2
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Winners and Losers from Week 1
- McLaughlin: Are the Pac-12’s CFB Playoff Hopes Gone?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 could Strengthen its Brand with Big Wins
- McLaughlin: Is Colorado Being Undervalued this Season?
- McLaughlin: What ASU and CU Could Show in Their Openers
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Coaches Who May Not Survive 2022
- McLaughlin: The 5 Most Important Pac-12 QBs for 2022
- McLaughlin: Preseason Pac-12 Football Recruiting Update
- McLaughlin: What Penix Brings to Huskies as Starting QB
- McLaughlin: Wins Hard to Find on 2022 Cal Schedule
- McLaughlin: Why Cardinal will Bounce Back in 2022
- McLaughlin: Oregon State Football Underrated in 2022
- McLaughlin: How Ducks can flip script and beat Utah in 2022
- McLaughlin: Oregon Football Poised for Success in 2022
- McLaughlin: Can ASU Match its 2021 Win Total?
- McLaughlin: Wildcats will Increase Win Total in 2022
- McLaughlin: WSU Should be Over .500 Again in 2022
McLaughlin: Is USC on Upset Alert against Oregon State?Spencer is joined by senior BeaverBlitz.com writer/editor Carter Bahns to talk about the game - September 23, 2022
McLaughlin: Oregon RBs, Potential Breakout Players at WSUSpencer looks at some of the players who are poised to stand out this weekend vs Wazzu - September 22, 2022
McLaughlin: UCLA’s ‘Slow’ Start, Biggest Week 4 HeadlinesSpencer is joined by Zach Anderson-Yoxsimer of Locked On UCLA Bruins to talk about situation - September 22, 2022